Summon Question

Alverant

Question

In the FAQ you say we should have disadvantages on a Summoned creature because it's a game not a tax return. Is a self-destruct or dispell disadvantage allowed? I remember reading about missles who have "using power destroys missle" or something like that, but most have been limitations on a power and not a disadvantage. If I summon a weapon could I have a "dispelled when charges are used up" or another built-in mechanism to undo the summon so another creature/object can be summoned?

On a related note, if summon has continuing charges, is the creature unsummoned when the charge is up?

What about having a mind link to the summoner and the disadvantage "dispelled on command from summoner"?

1 answer to this question

Re: Summon Question

1. What Disadvantages a GM's willing to allow on a Summoned character is up to him, based on whether he thinks they actually restrict the being (and if so, how much). In some cases having a Summoned being “vanish” might definitely restrict that being in such a way that it qualifies as a Disadvantage. In many other cases it would not — in fact, it might even be beneficial to the Summoned being — and thus shouldn’t be allowed as a Disadvantage.

2. Since Summon is an Instant Power, a character could only apply Continuing Charges to it if he first made it Constant via the Continuous Advantage. That requires defining what the effect of making Summon Constant would be. Generally speaking, it seems to me that the effect is “it has no effect and therefore there’s no reason for characters to do it.” Naturally, if a player comes up with a clever ability involving a Constant Summon, the GM could consider allowing this.

3. That’s inherent in the nature of Mind Link already, so it doesn’t entitle anyone to any Limitation or Disadvantage.