Personal Immunity Abuse

Killer Shrike

Question

Hi Steve; Im just on a roll tonight working madly away on a pet project. Sorry for the hassle ;)

OK, if I took Personaly Immunity as a Naked Power Advantage up to some tolerably high AP limit like 90, and then applied Usable by Others to that NPA, and then lent it out to 1 or more others, would the Personal Immunity apply to 1 of my powers as determined by me when I lent the NPA out, or instead would that apply to any one of the recipients powers up to the AP limit as determined by them?

If the NPA limited to a specific power which it protects from and is only being bought as an NPA so that ut can be lent out via UBO, is that worth a Limitation on the NPA such as a Linking or is that to open to powermongering abuse?

Thanx....no more questions for tonight, I promise ;)

1 answer to this question

No hassle at all; that's why I'm here, as the song says. ;)

First, take a look at the Rules FAQ re: naked Power Advantages. I changed it a bit recently to consolidate several answers and set forth the various options. That may help you out.

It’s certainly possible, with the GM’s permission, to buy a naked Power Advantage that can apply to many things — like Autofire, for use with any firearm. We can all see the logic behind what’s going on with something like that. But that’s still the same Advantage every time, it’s just applied to a variety of things.

What you’re describing is different. Since you can apply the Personal Immunity to a wide variety of attacks, in essence you’re using a different Advantage each time you change what it affects. So the GM might want you to buy that as, say, a Multipower or VPP (and let you put the naked Advantage in it, of course) of “Personal Immunity effects.”

Assuming your GM let you buy it as you’re describing — one naked Advantage — you should define what it applies to each time you grant it to someone, unless the GM rules otherwise. It depends on how useful it would be for your teammates to be immune to your powers. I can see situations where that wouldn’t be a big deal, and would allow it to apply to any power — but I can also see situations where it could be unbalancing and would require you to specify (assuming I allowed the power at all).

In any event, I don’t think you’re entitled to a Limitation; that seems potentially abusive.