Variable Advantage vs. RSR

Citizen Keen

Question

Steve-

If I take a Variable Advantage as a Naked Modifier, and apply Requires a Skill Roll to it, do I need to make a Skill Roll to use the Advantages, or only to change them?

Example: Suppose I have a 40 STR with a Naked Modifier Variable Advantage +1 (a +2 Advantage), and the Naked Modifer has RSR. At some point during combat, I've applied the +1 Advantage as Costs 0 END, +1/2 and Armor Piercing, +1/2. At the beginning of my phase, I decide to change my advantages to Armor Piercing x2, +1. I take the roll, and I fail. I decide to punch my foe. Am I punching him with Armor Piercing, 0 END Strength, or am I punching him with Normal Strength?

I'm assuming whichever ruling you hand down applies to Activation Roll as well.

Finally, while I know this is a "build" question, if RSR on a Naked Variable Advantage means that I have to make my roll to use my Advantages, could you please suggest a way to build it so that I only need to roll to change the Advantages? Easier than starting a new thread if I don't get the answer I like.

Thank you very much.

-cK

1 answer to this question

Re: Variable Advantage vs. RSR

If a character applies a Limitation like Requires A Skill Roll or Activation Roll to a naked Advantage, he only has to make the roll when he uses the Advantage — if he just uses the power without the Advantage at all, he doesn’t have to make the roll, because the base power itself isn’t Limited that way. But don’t forget that naked Advantages are by default Instant Powers, so maintaining a naked Advantage with RSR/AR for more than one Phase typically requires one roll per Phase. If a character only wants to have to roll once to activate the naked Advantage, then have it remain in effect until he changes the Advantage (or the like), he should apply Continuous (+1) to the naked Advantage to make it a Constant Power, and choose RSR instead of AR as the appropriate Limitation.