Steve, a clarification?

Immortaldreamer

Question

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Immortaldreamer

As per Dan:

3) Let's clear up this little misconception: There is nothing done in published Hero System 5th Edition products that HD cannot do. Unless it is part of the Errata. Steve is EXTREMELY careful to make sure that the published products follow the rules. Some errors slip through, but those are placed in the errata for the books as soon as they are found. The only issues that I'm aware of in which HD 's rules differed from published examples which Steve verified were correct, HD was changed.

Dan, from pg. 169, Terran Empire:

Sensor Enhancements I (+2 to Systems Operation) Active Cost: 4. Real Cost: 2. Because it's bought through a Bulky OIF. Hero Designer -WILL NOT- let you put modifiers on a 2 pt. SL...even though that's obviously what was done here.

There are other such examples, too, and that's why I referred to it as such in the original post. If Hero was religious about following their own rules, it would be different. But I've run across this situation not once, but 5-6 -times-, in the rules...trying to build something from the rulebooks that I -just can't do- in Hero Designer. I understand the argument that Hero Designer isn't Metacreator, and is solely for Hero...but when I'm trying to build something -out of a Hero book-...I shouldn't get a "you can't get there from here" response from the software. I'm not blaming this on the software; IT is obeying the rules. But since Hero doesn't, all the time, it would be nice to see those absolutes made not-so-absolute until/unless it does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And again, if you can get Steve to state that those are "exceptions" or modifications to the rules as stated in FREd (and not just errors in the book) then I will change HD to match. But as it stands right now the stated (and verified through Steve) rule is that you cannot place Modifiers onto an SL or CSL that is less than 5 points.

I would say that the book is in error and that an errata entry is in order, not that HD should be changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've run into this in several places, where the "rules" of FREd seem to be changed or altered to fit the situation. I have no problem with that...but I -do- have problems when Hero Games' official computerized character creator can't create something in an official Hero Games product. So...the question is: is this an errata and needs changed, or should the program be changed so that a GM can override the rules if an instance calls for it?

1 answer to this question

It's not an errata. What you're referring to aren't Skill Levels, but simple bonuses to a single Skill bought in the normal manner for that Skill. The text on 5E 26 differentiates between the two. While we're certainly not perfect here, we do make an effort to follow the rules as closely as we can, and to note exceptions where relevant.

The root difficulty here is that the CSL/SL structure lacks sufficient granularity and needs a general overhaul/expansion. Unfortunately, that's going to have to wait for The Ultimate Skill, which is only partly written.