Doubling of energy

Gary Ciaramella

Question

When two characters with the same strength work together, their combined strength is 5 higher... 10 str + 10 str equals 15 str. Does it work that way with an energy blast? Does 8d6 plus 8d6 equal 9d6?

Reason I ask is that I am working on an idea for cooperative magic for fantasy heroes... I hope this is not a really dumb question Steve! :)

1 answer to this question

Not a dumb question at all. ;)

I'm not going to establish any standards for that sort of thing, though. There are too many possible special effects of, and uses for, Energy Blast (or other Powers) to set forth any sort of blanket rule. If the method you describe works for you, go for it. ;)

I should note, however, that the "+5 STR" method you suggest, while a good shorthand in many situations, isn't always accurate. The preferred method is usually to add up all the characters' lifting capacities based on their individual STRs, then use that overall lifting capacity to determine the "group STR" of the people involved. The "+5 STR" method works fine if the two character have equal STRs; otherwise it may skew the results.