Mindscan & Multipower Rule...

Magmarock

Question

Heya Steve,

I had a new concept shown to me and I want to run it by you to see if it isn't breaking the rules. I checked the FAQ under Mental Powers and also under Power Frameworks, but this situation wasn't addressed [pertinent sections in bold]:

Me, as GM: I looked over your PC and [the PC] is fine but for one thing: The MP is 65 points and the campaign AP cap is 60 points.

He's a solid character. The only thing I'll point out is that with all the ultra slots in the MP, you'd never be able to effectively use the Mindscan in conjunction with your other MP powers (meaning you'd have to shut it off to use any other power, so targeted attacks are out). You might want to move that to your EC, unless you're only planned on using it for finding people. If it is the latter, then you might as well make it an ultra slot, too.

Player's reply: Yes, but none of the powers are above the 60 point cap and, in other campaigns, that's been the determining factor, not the points in the MP pool. The reason for the extra five points is so that he can do a Mind Scan, maintain the lock with 5 AP and still leave 60 AP for an "attack." Of course this is your campaign but as I said the formula and idea have worked well in other campaigns.

GM reply: In all my 18+ years of playing the game, I've never heard of using 5 AP of a Mindscan to hold the lock so an attack can be done. It sounds a bit like a house rule to me. The more I think about it, it seems a lot like a brick grabbing someone with his full STR, then on the next action shifting the grip to only 5 AP STR so he can punch the "grabbee". As a GM, I'd be tempted to allow a break out for that.

Your thoughts, Steve? Would it be legal? I seem to remember something about if you change the AP in a power that you need to re-establish the hold on the target or some such idea. Did that rule get retired? (Or am I mis-remembering... I do that a lot, too!) :D

Thanks,

Mags

"My GOD! I have POCKETS!" -The Tick

1 answer to this question

Re: Mindscan & Multipower Rule...

Nice try, but no cigar. ;)

If a character buys his Mind Scan in a Flexible slot in a Multipower, and establishes a Mind Scan lock-on with a particular amount of Active Points’ worth of Mind Scan (say, 60, for 12d6 assuming no Advantages), and then reduces the amount of Multipower reserve allocated to Mind Scan, he breaks the lock-on. If he wants to re-establish it, he must use another Attack Action, succeed with an ECV Attack Roll, and so on. Since he now knows the “general location and presence” of the target mind, he’s subject to the modifier two steps better on the Mind Scanning Modifiers chart (assuming the target has not left the general area).