Bases Foci

Wanderer

A point that puzzles me a bit...

Is it correct to use the Focus Limitation for hyper-tech or magical equipment Powers that are meant to be physically located in the character's base, but whose effects may follow him or manifest "in the field" too, so to speak ?

Some examples:

the cloning "vat" that resurrects the character (via Duplication with Extra Time and/or Gradual Effect, and Trigger) after he is killed

the "beam me up, scotty" teleporting equipment that teleports the character back to safety of his home/base, if he is near death/utters a vocal or mental command/types the radio code (Trigger and/or Concentration/Gestures/Incantation), or lets the character or PC group to quickly move to/from their nifty moon/orbital/underwater/remote wilderness base to this week's trouble spot ?

the summoning circle that lets summon a servant creature that subsequently follows and helps the character for some time in the field ?

If the sfx of these powers calls for them to be powered by equipment too bulky and complex or fragile to be located anywhere but the safety of the character's base, is it still appropriate to buy them as Immobile Foci, even if they cannot follow the character in combat ?

On one hand, such Foci cannot be damaged by attacking the character, or removed by him if he is made unconscious, on the other one can deprive the character of them in one fell swoop if he invades the character's base.

And one related issue: Has the character/group actually to buy one Base, if its only function is to stash such Foci, or one can describe them as located in his/their free background "home" (within reason: while it might be assumed that a cloning or summoning circle for a humanoid creature might be located in an apartment's large room, a tyrannosaur creche couldn't).

Re: Bases Foci

A point that puzzles me a bit...

Is it correct to use the Focus Limitation for hyper-tech or magical equipment Powers that are meant to be physically located in the character's base, but whose effects may follow him or manifest "in the field" too, so to speak ?

In my opinion, it really depends on the effectiveness, the impact on the scenario/campaign, and the potential for unbalancing.

The cloning "vat" that resurrects the character (via Duplication with Extra Time and/or Gradual Effect, and Trigger) after he is killed

I don't consider this too unbalancing unless you're running a heroic campaign where characters are easily killed. I would probably let it be a focus with bulky and immobile limitations.

the "beam me up, scotty" teleporting equipment that teleports the character back to safety of his home/base, if he is near death/utters a vocal or mental command/types the radio code (Trigger and/or Concentration/Gestures/Incantation), or lets the character or PC group to quickly move to/from their nifty moon/orbital/underwater/remote wilderness base to this week's trouble spot ?

The teleport when near death is more powerful than the cloning vat simply because the character doesn't actually have to be taken to it. Depending on how frequently near-death experiences occur, I might allow it also.

In both cases, the GM should be sure to make something happen to the devices to make it impossible for the character to be restored to life, at least for a time.

the summoning circle that lets summon a servant creature that subsequently follows and helps the character for some time in the field ?

Such a creature is more useful. It is essentially another character for the team. I wouldn't allow this as a focus.

If the sfx of these powers calls for them to be powered by equipment too bulky and complex or fragile to be located anywhere but the safety of the character's base, is it still appropriate to buy them as Immobile Foci, even if they cannot follow the character in combat ?

Again, possibly. If they really are immobile, then yes, buying them as immobile foci is appropriate. But if the base is so inaccessable (a fave is to put the base in a pocket dimension) or so guarded that the foci can never come into danger, then there is no real focus limitation.

But other limitations may apply. "Immobile (-1/2)" is a possibility and there may be others.

On one hand, such Foci cannot be damaged by attacking the character, or removed by him if he is made unconscious, on the other one can deprive the character of them in one fell swoop if he invades the character's base.

Exactly. Consider the difference in likelihood of damage to the device when the character is attacked versus having the device attacked in the base. That will give you a feel for what limitations to assign. A focus that has a high probability of damage when the character is hit would be no better and possibly worse than an OAF. Characters with foci that can only be damaged when used (teleporting circle that is pulled out of the character's costume and thrown on the ground) would be at most an OAF and probably lower, say -1/2.

And one related issue: Has the character/group actually to buy one Base, if its only function is to stash such Foci, or one can describe them as located in his/their free background "home" (within reason: while it might be assumed that a cloning or summoning circle for a humanoid creature might be located in an apartment's large room, a tyrannosaur creche couldn't).

A base or home can be a special effect. That is, it is trivially easy to destroy and anything in it is destroyed. This is the kind of home that is destroyed in a single explosion, blast, or punch. If the players want a base to actually defend anything, they need to pay points to get defenses.

Re: Bases Foci

I'm inclined to say that "base equipment" is just part of the SFX of the power and therefore not worth any points, unless the GM hands 'em out for good SFX Maybe you could use this "base equipment" SFX to justify an Environmental Control framework and save some points.

All this depends on the GM. Is it really an issue that the villian will know to attack your base just to deprive the character of his spowers? If I was GM, I'd say no, it's just a plot device if I have a villian attack your base. But other GMs may have different ideas based on their playstyle.

For a Focus limitation to be applicable, it has to be something that an opponent can snatch away like a gun or a hat. If knocking a character out doesn't give access to their foci, then they are not foci and just a special effect.