Spectator Sport?

Ozgrowl

Hi.

'Incompetent Normal' am I!? Boy, thats putting me in my place.

I was wondering what opportunity there was to be a spectator in a game so I can watch how the GM orchestrates things. How do people play? AIM? Email?

I'm in Australia too, so I guess time zone is a factor.

Oz

Re: Spectator Sport?

If interested in PBeM, I posted logs from one of my on-line tie-in games, with commentary, to show how it was orchestrated (to use your term). It might give you some insights, but like Hermit said, nothing like sitting in on a real game.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26787&highlight=Mavericks

(There are some fellow Aussies on these boards... you might ask around.)

Welcome to the boards! You'll stop being incompetent with only Fifty Posts! :):bounce:

OK, I'll prove my incompetence and ask, What does PBeM? And, hey, anything that helps me get a handle on how the game is played would be great. I've been out of this for 20 years.

Oz

Play By e-Mail.

FtF or Fact to Face is standard tabletop RPG playing.

The fact is, you'll find that there is no "one way" to run a game, and everyone has their own style and preferences and bits they enjoy. (Heck, there are entire boards established in order to discuss the various philosophies of role playing styles and preferences out there. Yeah... gaming has changed in twenty years! :shock: )

I'd just poke around the Champions, Dark Champions and Fantasy Hero threads... lurk for a while and see what people are talking about. Some conversations will be about characters, some about stories or plots... lots of thread about mechanics... others about style of play.

Take your time, absorb... and always feel free to ask questions.

I'm in Australia too' date=' so I guess time zone is a factor.[/quote']Whereabouts are you? There are a few other ANZACs here (like me), there might be a local group you can join FtF. Or a PBeM game where the time zone isn't a factor :D (although it is my understanding that the mechanics of PBeM are such that time zone doesn't matter, though I could be wrong).

Whereabouts are you? There are a few other ANZACs here (like me)' date=' there might be a local group you can join FtF. Or a PBeM game where the time zone isn't a factor :D (although it is my understanding that the mechanics of PBeM are such that time zone doesn't matter, though I could be wrong).[/quote']

G'day Mantis. South Australia is where I am at.

I am very new to all this so if you can take me under your wing that'd be beaut. Mind you, I haven't even created an up-to-date character yet. Been focussing a lot on the costuem design software at this stage. I used to be a freelance cartoonist so I want to scrub up my talents in the super-hero art.

Oz

Good news is, I'm in SA too, northern-eastern suburbs of Adelaide in fact.

Bad news is I've been out of it for about 6 years myself, and I'm still coming to grips with the current rules edition. I also don't have a current game group either! But at least now we both know someone "local" who has HERO! :bounce: