5ER, P.122 "Accelerating and Decelerating": is the example correct?

buzz

Question

I'm not sure I understand the example featuring Golden Eagle on p.122 of 5ER.

If he flew at full velocity (160"), it would take him eight Phases and 564" of space to come to a complete stop.

If a PC can remove velocity at 5" per hex, doesn't that just mean that Golden Eagle can decelerate in a single Phase, it just happens to take him 32" of movement to do it? (Just a Half Move for Golden Eagle.) That seems to be the math used in the first half of the example; 4" of movement to get up to 20" velocity at 5"/hex.

1 answer to this question

Re: 5ER, P.122 "Accelerating and Decelerating": is the example correct?

As the rules on 5ER 122 note, a character can decelerate up to his full Combat Movement per Phase. In that example, the most Golden Eagle can decelerate per Phase is 20", his full Combat Movement. Therefore he can't just take one Phase and 32 hexes to drop from 160" to 0" -- he spends one Phase dropping from 160" to 140" (and thus travels 140), the next from 140" down to 120" (and thus travels 120 more), and so on. Assuming I did the math right, it adds up to needing 564" of space to go from 160" to 0" because he's still moving some each Phase as he slows down.