Protects Carried Items Followup

Killer Shrike

Question

So let me get this strait.

If FF Boy has picked up a teammate, and an opponent attacks that teammate, the teammate DOES get the benefit of the FF.

If an opponent Mind Controls that teammate, and the mindcontrolled teammate is now hostile and attacks the party, if a PC tries to attack the carried mind controlled teammate (ostensibly to knock them out), the FF would suddenly not apply because the mind controlled teammate is now techincally an opponent?

What if FF Boy is trying to subdue an opponent, while another PC is trying to harm an opponent. FF Boy grabs the opponent and chokes him out. The other PC winds up for a Haymaker and lays into the helpless immobilized person. FF Boy does not want the incapacitated opponent to be hurt. Does the FF apply to the opponent vs the other PCs attack in that case?

What Im getting at is exactly where is the line between 'carried' and 'grabbed', and how elective the application of the FF's protection is. If its purely in GM Fiat land, thats fine, but this Adder has recently spawned several strange circumstances and general disagreement in play and Im seeking further objective 'official' or 'from the mouth of Steve semiofficial' illumination on the subject.

Sorry if it offended you or seemed nitpicky....

1 answer to this question

Once again, it's a matter of common sense. If FF Boy is carrying someone who's protected by his Force Field, and that person is suddenly Mind Controlled to be hostile, that person is still being carried. He's not Grabbed, which is what my last answer was talking about. At least initially, the Force Field would protect him; FF Boy would probably have to shut it off and activate it again without extending the protection -- or just drop the guy, for Pete's sake. Some kindly GMs might even let him withdraw the protection without shutting off the power.

I can't list a specific set of circumstances where the Adder does and does not apply (though I can certainly answer specific questions if necessary) -- there's too much leeway in an RPG, and if I list things, it could cause more problems than it solves. I think in most situations, common sense should tell you what to do. In really odd situations, the GM has to make a ruling. That's what GMs are for, after all. Well, that, and general abuse. ;)