Damage Shield power

I wanted a to make an attack power protect me using whirling chains...however i wanted to limit it in this way but im not sure how...I wanted it to take a full phase to activate it...No prob Exta time...but i wanted my character to take a half phase action every phase he wanted to maintain it... any help?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Damage Shield power

Mmmm... I think you'll have to wing that Disadvantage, both in terms of the points you get back from it and the exact effect it has. if I dig up something more useful than that, I'll let you know.

Mmmm.... This one is puzzling. I think you'd have to create a new Limitation for the effect. I'd probably call it a -1/4 if it was just a normal 1/2 Phase action (like moving or using Defense Maneuver), and a -1/2 if required an Attack Action that would prevent the character from using other attacks or defense maneuvers.

Oddly, the SFX of this sounds like something I wrote up for a martial artist of mine a few years back (but later found I couldn't afford it). Instead of Damage Shield, I made it an AE: One Hex Selective. It didn't have a Limitation for using an action to maintain it, but I was planning on putting in the same Multipower as her main movement power, so the overall effect sould be that instead of moving, she'd whip her chain around, and still be able to attack with it or her martial maneuvers. Failry nasty effect overall.

Well, I like being able to apply Limitations to an Advantage within a Power. The way this works is that mathematically you treat the Advantage like a, "Naked Advantage that Applies to Only One Power," and you apply all the Limitations on the main Power to it as well as the Limitations that specifically modify the Advantage (but in no other way is it actually a Naked Advantage). It is really just taking advantage of the associativity of the equation:

RP = BP (1 + A1 + A2) / (1 + L1) = (BP) (1 + A1) / (1 + L1) + A2 / (1 + L1)

Then with a Limitation L2 that applies to only the A2 Advantage rather than the whole Power:

RP = (BP) (1 + A1) / (1 + L1) + A2 / (1 + L1 + L2)

with this in mind, I would simply apply Extra Time once to the whole Power, then apply it again to the Continuous Advantage. The value for Extra Time I would use is Full Phase, since for an Attack Power this normally represents the difference between an Attack Half-Phase and a Full Phase (the difference being the non-attack Half-Phase). So the way I would build it might look something like:

Whirling Chain Shield

HA: 3d6 physical;

Continuous (+1);

Extra Time: Full Phase (actually half Phase each Phase instead of no time; -1/2);

Damage Shield (+1);

Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2);

[Active: 30+15=45, Real: 30/(1+1/2)+15/(1+1)=20+7=27]

EDIT: But then, you all know I'm crazy, so whatever. :D

Guest Black Lotus

Did I say Disadvantage earlier? I meant to say Limitation, of course.

Excellent solution, prestidigitator. I think I'll write it down for future reference, in case I ever need it. :)

Did I say Disadvantage earlier? I meant to say Limitation, of course.

Excellent solution, prestidigitator. I think I'll write it down for future reference, in case I ever need it. :)

Thanks. Er, and nice post about the Hero system in that other thread. You know the one I mean. I'm not going to post there because, quite frankly, you are a nut for digging it up and I'm not going to buy in. ;)