Ranged weapons and ranges question

atlascott

Ok, so I know the various books have max ranges for weapons, right? And I know you can use the standard or more granular range modifers. And I know weapns can be bought with CSL's, only to offset range mods.

I have never run into much longer range fighting (6X2.5 foot game table, I guess!) but how well do these mechanics work with a Modern or even Medieval game when scoped rifle or longbow ranges really make a difference?

Re: Ranged weapons and ranges question

Ok, so I know the various books have max ranges for weapons, right? And I know you can use the standard or more granular range modifers. And I know weapns can be bought with CSL's, only to offset range mods.

I have never run into much longer range fighting (6X2.5 foot game table, I guess!) but how well do these mechanics work with a Modern or even Medieval game when scoped rifle or longbow ranges really make a difference?

Actually, you would be PSLs (Penalty Skill Levels) to offset range penalties... but that is just picking nits.

You will see a dramatic effect at range even at a mere 4.1" - which is a -2 OCV penalty. When playing an SG-1 campaign, we saw how dramatic a sniper could be... hunkered down, set, braced, with a scope... negated about -10 in penalties between all the PSLs available... was nailing Jaffa from 100m+ with ease (of course, at that range, we hadn't quite set up stuff on the battlemat - my current one is 5'X8' - a MegaMat from Chessex!)

Even at "close" ranges (outside of 4"), Ranged PSLs will still be useful... but that is also a play-style choice, as well as SFX - sometimes it just makes more sense to spend a few more points on a CSL instead of a PSL.