Mystical Hero Team Archetypes

Wolfjack

Re: Mystical Hero Team Archetypes

Oh' date=' jeez. Don't get me wrong, I love monkeys... I'm [b']all about[/b] monkeys... but what were they thinking?

Detective Chimp operates under two PROVEN Schools of thought.

1) A little humor boosts sales

2) Comic books with Apes on the cover inexplicably sell more that other comics in a series without them...

No... I don't know what they're thinking either.

Detective Chimp operates under two PROVEN Schools of thought.

1) A little humor boosts sales

2) Comic books with Apes on the cover inexplicably sell more that other comics in a series without them...

No... I don't know what they're thinking either.

Additional: Detective Chimp has been in DC continuity since the 1950s. That's the Silver Age for you. Funny animal characters, superpets, silly power limitations, loudly and repeatedly anouncing your silly power limitations in public, bad guys committing pointless city-sized pranks for no logical reason, weird transformations, not even a nodding respect for any sort of science, history or basic geography ... and then people go on about how the Silver Age comics were so much better, but they don't like the silly stuff. ;)

Additional: Detective Chimp has been in DC continuity since the 1950s. That's the Silver Age for you. Funny animal characters' date=' superpets, silly power limitations, loudly and repeatedly anouncing your silly power limitations in public, bad guys committing pointless city-sized pranks for no logical reason, weird transformations, not even a nodding respect for any sort of science, history or basic geography ... and then people go on about how the Silver Age comics were so much better, but they don't like the silly stuff. ;)[/quote']

Let's not forget Stanley and his Monster, Angel and the Ape, The Inferior Five, Jerry Lewis. Humor comics heyday.

Interestingly enough, I was surprised to see Nightmaster since he appeared ltwice (I think) in Shocase in the middle 60's. Obscure character.

Let's not forget Stanley and his Monster, Angel and the Ape, The Inferior Five, Jerry Lewis. Humor comics heyday.

Interestingly enough, I was surprised to see Nightmaster since he appeared ltwice (I think) in Shocase in the middle 60's. Obscure character.

Agreed and agreed. I kind of like the way that companies sometimes bring lesser known old characters to the front every now-and-then and give them a polish, even the silly ones, when its done well.

I understand that the Bureau of Amplified Animals is also in DCs current continuity (such as it is). Can the Legion of Superpets be far behind? ;)

Looks like a good place to post a link to Dog, my tribute to Superpets and Krypto:

http://www.bobtokyo.robertdorf.com/Dog.htm

Agreed and agreed. I kind of like the way that companies sometimes bring lesser known old characters to the front every now-and-then and give them a polish, even the silly ones, when its done well.

I understand that the Bureau of Amplified Animals is also in DCs current continuity (such as it is). Can the Legion of Superpets be far behind? ;)

Looks like a good place to post a link to Dog, my tribute to Superpets and Krypto:

http://www.bobtokyo.robertdorf.com/Dog.htm

Let's not forget Streaky the Supercat, who was once defeated by Chlorophyll Kid, who caused catnip to grow.

Great stuff! I can really picture János from the writeup. Looking forward to the rest of the group, particularly Sympath & Epitaph. A few thoughts about János:

If his XDM is regular vanilla No Concious Control, why would his team ever use it? Logically it would only lead to a Sliders campaign. If János has some reason to believe he "goes where he's needed", but doesn't have a clue where that might be, I'm thinking the limitation should be less. Also, why the Continuous? I'm guessing you're going for a Princes of Amber kind of deal, where as he walks, he shuffles through realities 'til he finds one that looks good. But you can do that anyway without Continuous, and he can spend more than one phase checking the places out.

Thanks for the compliments... I really appreciate that.

As far as the XDM goes, the power isn't really something the team would ever use, but if people were walking with him when he decided to go away, such as a like-minded individual, then they could. Janos also doesn't really believe he's going where he's needed, he just going... and its not always pleasant. Good call on the Continous, that was a left-over tidbit from when I was first building it as a gate.

Best... Lee

Interestingly enough' date=' DC Comics is doing a miniseries called [i']Days of Vengeance[/i] featuring the following heroes:

Night Master- A demon hunter with chainmail and a magic sword

Blue Devil- A stunt-man whose high-tech body-amor is magically fused to his body and became a devil with the power to banish demons back to hell.

Rag Man- A hero who can imprison evil people in the patches on his costume and call upon them to grant him greater strength and agility (and as a result the souls pay penance).

Nightshade- Mystic spy who controls shadow

Detective Chimp- (no... I'm not kidding) a super intelligent (and nearly immortal) simian detective.

Enchantress- A traditional sorceress who, when she uses too much power, goes nuts and becomes a villain.

I haven't seen Nightshade and Enchantress since early issues of Suicide Squad. Blue Devil was geeat but this incarnation of rag man sounds much different from the 70's hero I recall. Same guy? When/how did his powers change?

These group gatherings of seldom used or "second-rate" heroes are always fun. Certainly an instance where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Shroud also organized the Night Shift - a group of villains that stemmed mostly out of the first Spider-Woman run.

And everyone on here is correct - Detective Chimp? Puh-leeez.

I haven't seen Nightshade and Enchantress since early issues of Suicide Squad. Blue Devil was geeat but this incarnation of rag man sounds much different from the 70's hero I recall. Same guy? When/how did his powers change?

I was thinking that myself. I vaguely recalled Rag-Man NOT having powers. But when I looked him up in my DC Encyclopedia it said he had that power-set. *shrug*

I was thinking that myself. I vaguely recalled Rag-Man NOT having powers. But when I looked him up in my DC Encyclopedia it said he had that power-set. *shrug*

Part of his origin, as I vaguely recall, involved somehow the abilities and skills of three men being absorbed into a bunch of rags that the hero used to create his identity. Or something like that... still, it was more of a reach than Mr. Fantastic. Cool costume though.

Lee

Part of his origin, as I vaguely recall, involved somehow the abilities and skills of three men being absorbed into a bunch of rags that the hero used to create his identity. Or something like that... still, it was more of a reach than Mr. Fantastic. Cool costume though.

Lee

I recall them being Jewish Kabbalists that made the costume in lieu of a new Golem.

Next up is the character Lodestone, a legacy hero. Props to Proditor for his write-up of a character by the same name for the V&V supplement "Opponents Unlimited", which was also the inspiration for this character.

After this I'll try and tackle a lighter character - Tomcat. Any constructive criticism welcome!

[b]Lodestone - Megan Frey[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
21    DEX     33   21      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
23    CON     26   23      14-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
12    EGO     4   12      11-       ECV: 4
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
8    PD      5   8/16             8/16 PD (0/8 rPD)
8    ED      3   8/16             8/16 ED (0/8 rED)
5    SPD     19   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
8    REC     0   8
46    END     0   46
35    STUN    0   35
9    RUN      0   9"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 120[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
53     [b][i]Magic Damper[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 106-point powers - END=
53     1)  [b][i]Magic Breaking[/i][/b]: Dispel 16d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (14" Radius; +1 1/4) (132 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=0
99     2)  [b][i]Magical Grounding[/i][/b]: Suppress Magic Powers 9d6, all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +1) (202 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) - END=0
15     [b][i]Monster Bashing Weapons[/i][/b]: Multipower, 31-point reserve,  (31 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i].45 Caliber Cure[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), 2 clips of 8 Charges (-1/4) - END=[8]
1u     2)  [b][i]Silver Longknife[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), Penetrating (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=3
1u     3)  [b][i]Wooden Crossbow Bolts[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 16 Charges (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=[16]
1u     4)  [b][i]Iron-Wrapped Shillelagh[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=3
1u     5)  [b][i]Holy Water Bottles[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, No Normal Defense (Defense is NOT being the Undead or an Unholy Being; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4) - END=[6]
24     [b][i]It Looks Worse Than It Is[/i][/b]: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) - END=0
17     [b][i]Can Take A Punch[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Requires A CON Roll  (-1/2), Character Must Be Aware Of Attack (-1/4) - END=0
10     [b][i]Unimpressed[/i][/b]: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only To Protect Against Presence Attacks (-1) - END=
6     Running +3" (9" total) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 282[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Karate
4      1)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 35 STR to Disarm roll
4      3)  Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4      4)  Knifehand Strike ("Chop"):  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2d6
4      5)  Punch/Snap Kick:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike
5      6)  Side/Spin Kick:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 9d6 Strike
8      7)  +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
2      8)  Weapon Element:  Blades, Clubs

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 35[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Breakfall 13-
3      Climbing 13-
3      Deduction 12-
3      Criminology 12-
3      Cryptography 12-
3      Interrogation 13-
3      Stealth 13-
3      Tactics 12-
3      Teamwork 13-
3      Scholar
3      1)  KS: Arcane And Occult Lore (4 Active Points) 13-
1      2)  KS: Demons (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  KS: Extradimensional Beings (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  KS: Kabbalism (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  KS: Legends And Lore (2 Active Points) 11-
1      6)  KS: Lycanthropes & Changelings (2 Active Points) 11-
1      7)  KS: Necromancy (2 Active Points) 11-
2      8)  KS: The Mystic World (3 Active Points) 12-
1      9)  KS: Vampires (2 Active Points) 11-
4      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms
3      CK: Campaign City 12-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 49[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
5      Money:  Well Off

[b]PERKS Cost: 5[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
6      Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 6[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Enraged:  Can lose control in combat (Common), go 8-, recover 11-
20     Hunted:  Clan/Secret Society that killed father 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10     Hunted:  Monster Villain - GM's discretion 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
10     Physical Limitation:  Weirdness Magnet (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Cynical (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Grim and humorless (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Tenacious, never gives up (Common, Total)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Driven By Family History To Become A Hero (Common, Strong)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID: Megan Frey (Frequently, Major)
10     Unluck: 2d6

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 147
Total Exp Available: 147
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 497

Background/History

Megan Frey was raised an orphan – she never knew her mother and her father simply disappeared when she was six. She was taken in by relatives who quickly proved to her that family is not everything in life. They simply wanted to control the great wealth Megan had inherited; they give minute care to the raising of a little, lonely girl.

Strange and unusual things happened whenever she was around and Megan grew up alone, ostracized by her peers and neglected at home. Her childhood was filled with fights at school and hand me downs. Her true sanctuary was a great library in the ancestral home and it was there she learned much about her father and his interests. By the time she turned 18, Megan started out on a path that she had long planned and looked forward to.

Lawyers swiftly dealt with her remaining family members and any other problems she threw money at until they went away. Greed was never a factor in her existence and Megan had grown up first hand knowing just how unhappy a few dollars could make anyone. Now, her wealth was merely another tool while she set about on the task of discovering where her father had gone, knowing in her heart that he was not dead.

In time, she discovered that her father was a veteran of the Master’s second Circle incarnation, the hero known as The Dread Knight, scourge of the undead. He went missing during a mission and was presumed dead. Megan used this knowledge and other secrets she’d uncovered to accomplish the unthinkable – she found the Master in his lair.

Megan confronted him and demanded to know what had happened to her father and why The Master could let a little girl be raised in ignorance of the knowledge. In anger, she swung out a hand to strike The Master and when he cast the simplest protection spell he was surprised that her blow had completely bypassed it to land hard on his jaw. It was then both discovered she had the strange ability to absorb magic. Not only did she attract the paranormal but, like a flame to a moth, she was dangerous to it as well.

Though hostile to an old man whose help she also desperately needed, Megan is a resolute, if unwilling, student. In return, The Master has sworn to help her find a father long missing that she devoutly believes is still alive.

Personality/Motivation

Megan is not a happy person – she has been lied to her whole life and does not view the world in its most optimistic light. She tends to think the worst of people and, worse for her, is generally proven right. She loves a good fight and finds her adversaries are an excellent outlet for the pain she feels. Crusader keeps a close and concerned eye on her, knowing firsthand that rage can consume an individual, leaving nothing behind but a husk of cold ashes.

Megan is hard and stubborn, determined to never show any weakness if she can help it.

“Anyone who doesn’t believe in revenge has never been seriously screwed over.â€

Powers/Tactics

Lodestone’s one true power is a much a boon as it is a bane to her team. Many of their own abilities will not function if they are standing too close to her in a fight. Megan has always been a born scrapper and now she has Crusader’s training to back up her innate abilities. She is tenacious and won’t back down from a fight… any fight.

Campaign Use

Lodestone is a legacy hero and can be a plot device as the heroes help her and the Circle look for her father. Or perhaps a hero or his /her NPC is the father, a victim of some mystical amnesia. And if a supernatural menace is involved, there’s a good chance Lodestone is on its trail.

Appearance

Megan dresses in a simple and matter of fact way. It’s not just the expression on her face that says she’s looking for a fight. Her costume isn’t much more than her street clothes, denim jeans and black leather jacket – with fringe if she’s feeling dressy. Her black hair is cropped short and her flint-colored eyes are usually framed beneath a furrowed brow. Her body language is much the same, standing apart from a group with her arms crossed over her chest. She comes close to looking like a Goth but sneers at those that make the comparison. She feels that subculture flirts with a myth as a foolish way to express their individuality. She’s felt the cold, fetid breath of the undead on her before and finds nothing escapist or romantic about it at all.

Here is the next character in the group - Epitaph. I finally figured out how I wanted to handle the power set so here he is, though I'm sure there will be some discussion of his clairsentience power.

[b]Epitaph - Seth and James Wilson[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10/35      11- / 16-       HTH Damage 2d6/7d6  END [1/3]
17    DEX     21   17      12-       OCV 6 DCV 6
13    CON     6   13/28      12- / 15-
10    BODY    0   10/20      11- / 13-
18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 13-
18    EGO     16   18      13-       ECV: 6
12    COM     1   12      11-
6    PD      4   6/11             6/11 PD (0 rPD)
6    ED      3   6/9             6/9 ED (0 rED)
4    SPD     13   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
5    REC     0   5/13
26    END     0   26/56
22    STUN    0   22/53
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    LEAP     0   2"/7"                2"/7" forward, 1"/3 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 82[/b]

26     [b][i]Spirits of Vengeance Powers[/i][/b]: Elemental Control, 66-point powers,  (33 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
41     1)  [b][i]Channeling The Spirits Of The Past[/i][/b]: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (125 Active Points); Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; Must be able to talk through the entire process; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Epitaph is generally immoblie while channeling a spirit; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=12
19     2)  [b][i]Touch of the Grave[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (67 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=7
21     3)  [b][i]The Chill of Beyond[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 7d6, No Normal Defense ([standard]; Hardened Resitent Defenses, Armor; +1) (70 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=7
48     [b][i]"I'm already dead."[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
48     [b][i]"I'm already dead."[/i][/b]: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
14     [b][i]Undead Vitality[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping Character does not sleep) (18 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0
20     [b][i]Undead Vitality[/i][/b]: +25 STR (25 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=2
24     [b][i]Undead Vitality[/i][/b]: +15 CON (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
16     [b][i]Undead Vitality[/i][/b]: +10 BODY (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     [b][i]Aura of Death[/i][/b]: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only For Fear-Based Presence Attacks (-1), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 286[/b]

"When I get my hands on you..."
4      1)  Bearhug:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 / 11d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
4      2)  Grab:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 10 STR for holding on
4      3)  Punch:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 / 9d6 Strike
3      4)  Slam:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, 2d6 Strike; Grab Two Limbs; Target Falls
4      5)  Toughness:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 19[/b]

3      Bribery 13-
3      Bureaucratics 13-
3      Computer Programming 13-
3      Conversation 13-
3      Criminology 13-
3      Deduction 13-
3      Oratory 13-
3      Persuasion 13-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Criminal Law And Procedure (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  KS: Dirty Politics (2 Active Points) 11-
2      3)  KS: Organized Crime (3 Active Points) 13-
1      4)  KS: The Law Enforcement World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  KS: The Mystic World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      6)  KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
2      7)  KS: The Underworld (3 Active Points) 13-
2      CK: Campaign City 11-
2      PS: Lawyer 11-
2      PS: Politician 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 42[/b]

15     Accidental Change:  When justice or vengeance demands a spiirt must channel through James 14- (Uncommon)
10     Distinctive Features:  Rope marks on neck (James)/The aura of death (Epitaph) (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20     Enraged:  When channeling a spirit and is mocked or frustrated (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 8-
20     Hunted:  The "Higher Power" 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
10     Physical Limitation:  susceptible to Necromancy spells and powers (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Dedicated to Justice & Redemption (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Protective of innocents (Very Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Wants a normal life/release from a ghostly limbo (Common, Strong)
10     Reputation:  "Speaker of the Dead" in the service of a higher power, 14- (Known Only To A Small Group in the Mystical World)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID: James Wilson (Frequently, Major)
25     Susceptibility:  to holy objects and places, 2d6 damage per Phase (Common)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 175[/b]

Exp Required: 54
Total Exp Available: 49
Total Character Cost: 429

Background/History

Seth and James Wilson were twins, born ten minutes apart. Seth was the oldest, born five minutes before midnight while James was born the exact amount after the stroke of twelve. To say that one was born in the day and the other at night would be eerily true and they individually reflected this. Seth was dark-haired and somber, strong and athletic. James was fair and blonde, popular and well-spoken. Regardless of their differences, the Wilson's had been brought up to know that, regardless of beliefs, blood was always thicker than water.

They grew up together and remained close throughout school. It was only in finishing high school that their road took separate directions, though both men were equally committed to the community

James Wilson was a pacifist, a man who believed that the pen was mightier than the sword. James left for Harvard and studied law. After he passed the bar, he returned home and joined the District Attorney's office. He rose in the ranks, determined to do what he could to stem the tide of corruption within the city.

Seth Wilson stayed and enrolled in the Police Academy. He excelled in his training and it wasn’t long before he became a detective, bringing to justice those that dared break the laws he held so dear.

But time wore on them both. Seth became darker and moodier, seeing too many criminals get off due to technicalities or a corrupt legal system. James fought his own battles and decided to run for the city. He too had changed, taking shortcuts when necessary because he believed that the greater good was eventually being served. Some information here, an overlooking of paperwork there; in the end, James knew he was doing more good than harm.

That is until one piece of information ended his brother’s life as drug dealers were tipped to a raid by the police and had been prepared. James’ role in the death came up during an official investigation; now the underworld had gotten rid of two problems in one fell swoop.

Disgraced, James went home and tried to hang himself. Near death, he was visited by a spirit, a spirit who would not let James die and cursed him to find redemption by being the vessel that would house his brother’s soul, also cursed to limbo for Seth would not go until his thirst for vengeance had been satiated.

Seeing the error of their ways, the brothers seek to right wrongs and hopefully find themselves completely redeemed and lifted of the curse that binds them together in a life that is no life at all.

Personality/Motivation

Epitaph is motivated by one thing and one thing only: the desire to destroy the corruption in the city and bring to justice those that have caused it. Being a pawn of a higher power seeking justice means James Wilson can no longer lead a normal life until somehow the curse is lifted. He now has no family, no desire for romance and, with the exception of The Circle, no real friends.

While down, James is not without a sense of humor; in fact, his humor is what has managed to keep him sane while dealing wit the guilt and shame over having helped cause his brother’s demise. His brother Seth, as Epitaph, simply takes his job – destroying crime and protecting the innocent – quite seriously and enacts his cause with a grim and ruthless determination.

“Those from beyond the grave have read their verdict upon you… and the verdict is guilty.â€

Powers/Tactics

Epitaph is a strong and relentless opponent and there is little that can hurt him. He is able to let others feel the cold grasp of death and the pain that it causes. Yet his most unusual power is to act as “Speaker of the Dead†for those spirits that have passed before. Seth can canvass the spirit world and find a spirit that can tell others about events that have transpired before in the hopes that whatever injustice that has been left unaddressed can now be righted.

Appearance

James is a tall, slight man and wears glasses. He has somewhat poor posture, partially due to the terrible self-image he has of himself. When Seth enters his body, the change to Epitaph is sudden. The skin becomes a chalky white and his breath is cold and fetid. The lean figure is obviously more powerful, animated with a resolute sense of justice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the next charactrer in the group - Tomcat. All that's left is a Crusader re-do, The Clockwork Man and maybe a look at whre The Circle hangs out.

[b]Tomcat - Tom[/b]

25    STR     15   25      14-       HTH Damage 5d6  END [2]
27    DEX     51   27      14-       OCV 9 DCV 9
23    CON     26   23      14-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
10    INT     0   10      11-       PER Roll 14-
10    EGO     0   10      11-       ECV: 3
18    COM     4   18      13-
16    PD      3   16             16 PD (8 rPD)
16    ED      3   16             16 ED (8 rED)
6    SPD     23   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     0   10
46    END     0   46
40    STUN    0   40
15    RUN      0   15"                END [3]
14    LEAP     0   14"                14" forward, 7" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 145[/b]

27     [b][i]Claws[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
15     [b][i]Fangs[/i][/b]: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) - END=1
40     [b][i]Lycanthropic Resilience[/i][/b]: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Does Not Work Against Silver-Based Attacks Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) [b]plus[/b] Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Does Not Work Against Fire Attacks Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) - END=0
18     [b][i]Lycanthropic Regeneration[/i][/b]: Healing 3 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Does Not Heal Damage Caused By Silver Weapons Two or More Types of Damage (-1/2) - END=0
7     [b][i]Leather Jacket[/i][/b]: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), OIF (-1/2) - END=0
18     [b][i]Feline Muscles[/i][/b]: Running +9" (15" total) - END=2
9     [b][i]Feline Muscles[/i][/b]: Leaping +9" (14" forward, 7" upward) - END=1
9     [b][i]Heightened Senses[/i][/b]: +3 PER with All Sense Groups - END=0
5     [b][i]Nightsight[/i][/b]: Nightvision - END=0
10     Tracking with Smell/Taste Group - END=0
20     [b][i]Nine Lives[/i][/b]: Luck 4d6 - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 178[/b]

Fighting with Tooth And Claw
4      1)  Avoid Harm:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5      2)  Slashing Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 7d6 Strike
3      3)  Knockover:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 8d6 Strike, Target Falls
5      4)  Passing Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 7d6 +v/5; FMove
4      5)  Martial Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 50 STR vs. Grabs
8      6)  +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 29[/b]

8      +4 with Claws
3      Acrobatics 14-
3      Breakfall 14-
3      Climbing 14-
3      Contortionist 14-
10      Defense Maneuver I-IV 
2      KS: Movies 11-
2      KS: Lycanthropy Legends 11-
3      KS: Skateboard Culture 12-
3      Shadowing 11-
3      Stealth 14-
3      Streetwise 13-
2      Survival (Urban) 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 48[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
6      Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED
15      Combat Sense 11-
4      Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with Claws

[b]TALENTS Cost: 25[/b]
10     Distinctive Features:  The Mark of The Beast in human form, noticed by those with the second sight (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Mutant Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
15     Distinctive Features:  Werecat Form (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
40     Enraged:  Berserk Loses control on nights of the full moon (Common), go 14-, recover 8-
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code Against Killing Very Common, Strong
10     Psychological Limitation:  Adventurous & Free-spirited (Common, Moderate)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Hates the water (Common, Moderate)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Lonely for a real family (Uncommon, Strong)
10     Social Limitation:  No legal status (Occasionally, Major)
20     Vulnerability:  2x STUN Silver Weapons Common
20     Vulnerability:  2x BODY Silver Weapons Common

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 175[/b]

Exp Required: 50
Total Exp Available: 50
Total Character Cost: 425

Background/History

Tom doesn’t recall much of his life prior to being an adolescent; he simply woke up one day on the streets and never looked back because he had too much to do just keeping himself alive. He kept apart from other street kids and tried to make a life for himself as best as he could. The only problem was every month he would find himself far from home with no memory of the events of the past three nights. Yet soon tales would circulate about strange violent events and those that normally shunned Tom would come looking. Never the biggest fan of the authorities, Tom would leave town and try to keep ahead of the trouble that stayed on his heels.

It was during one full moon that Tom was discovered by Crusader and The Master, who quickly subdued him and brought him to The Circle. Once the madness of the moon had passed, they helped Tom understand who he was and what he was capable of. They also made the startling discovery that, unlike a true lycanthrope, Tom could actually change at will and to various degrees, based on his emotional levels. In an instant Tom could vary his appearance from being clean shaven to being entirely covered in a light furry down to being completely covered in a thick, golden fur.

He has since adapted well to being one of the good guys, finding the experience of being a hero quite a rush. While he is lonely for a real family he tries not to think about it much. Everything he has now is a whole lot better than anything he’s ever had before and besides, being sad isn’t much fun!

Personality/Motivation

Tom is actually a fairly laidback individually, despite his love of fun. He’s a true hedonist who enjoys lying sprawled in the sun in a rooftop hammock, out on the town taking in a club or running around a night getting his nose into things. He simply chooses to take his time about it. Keeping his life carefree also keeps him from thinking about deeper issues he’d rather not, like who he truly is and where he’s from. His life may be good now but there was a time when food was scarce and he didn’t have a place to call home. He is grateful for everything that he has and would do nothing to risk it. Fun-loving though he is, he’s fiercely protective of the Circle, the only real family he’s ever known and trusted.

“Hey, that magic spell was cool but look at what I can do with my claws!â€

Powers/Tactics

Tom is a rarity, a mutant born with lycanthropy. He has the ability to change shape quite quickly whenever he wants but the curse of the disease is strong within him. During the monthly three nights of the full moon, Tom fights a constant battle for control of his monstrous self. He’d rather not risk what might occur and chooses to voluntarily lock himself away in a cell that Crusader constructed for deep in the bowels of the Circle’s headquarters.

Like all lycanthropes, Tom is resistant to injury and able to quickly regenerate from harm – to everything but silver, the bane of all werefolk. His claws are incredibly sharp and he is able to leap and run at tremendous speeds and agility. Crusader has helped Tom learn a fighting style that makes excellent use of his abilities, keeping him in close quarters with a foe, all the while in constant motion to keep from getting hit. The Clockwork Man grumpily refers to it as being "constantly underfoot".

Appearance

Tom has long strawberry blonde hair and a crooked smile, his ruddy face covered in freckles. He wears casual clothes and prefers a style best typified by American Eagle. He considers his black leather biker jacket lucky and is never without it. As Tomcat, his face lengthens and there’s hair everywhere. His fingers lengthen and the nails are replaced by sharp, retractable claws. Baggy clothes work best at keeping him feeling comfortable.