Continuous and Actions

Captain Pants

Question

My understanding of Continuous from 4e and earlier was that if an attack was Continuous, all it really meant was that you didn't have to roll to hit against your target anymore. You still had to spend your attack action maintaining the Continuous attack, and couldn't make any other attacks if you wanted to maintain the attack. If you wanted to abort to a Dodge, for instance, you had to discontinue the attack. In this interpretation, the +1 advantage of Continuous seems extremely high.

Now that Continuous changes a power to a Constant power, does that now mean that, like a Force Field, an attack would allow an attacker to take other combat actions at the same time a Continuous attack took place, as long as he paid the endurance? Or did I have it right the first time?

- Cap

1 answer to this question

Re: Continuous and Actions

Based on my reading of the 4E rules, you’ve definitely been misinterpreting things. Continuous then worked as it does now — it converts a Power into a Constant Power that can continue to affect a target without the need for the character to make additional Attack Rolls or use additional Actions. You can find the rules on 5ER 98-99, which discuss the issues you raise re: making further attacks and such.