Armor Spell Failure

Icel

Re: Armor Spell Failure

The efficiency of using Magic for defense depends entirely on the nature of the Magic System in question.

But that isn't the point; the point is the HERO System is a game of OPTIONS and RELATIVE ABILITY. By assessing flat, arbitrary penalties or restrictions you work against both ideas.

Actually, Shrike, I see it another way. The HERO system is meant to be a generic system which the GM then customizes to go with the nature of his or her campaign. As HERO GM's we're constantly tweaking the system and making arbitrary changes to make it fit better with our conceptualized campaign. For example, a Wheel of Time style campaign, a WuXia style campaign and a Conan campaign should all feel radically different, and this isn't just accomplished with point totals, but with GMs mucking around and making arbitrary (but logically justifiable) limits. The options inherent in the HERO system are actually there to be used as the GM wills or limited, not necessarily always used full-tilt.

Rob

I'm not arguing against penalties, Im just arguing against tieing the penalties to a flat amount like 5kg. At least basing it on Encumbrance is relative to individual characters. If you want to asses a flat "cost of ownership", consider using the Armored Casting Talent I define in the document linked to in a previous post -- it will probably accomplish what you want, and it makes it an accomplishment of the character rather than an impediment about which they can do nothing.

(Some of my Spheal)

Thanx! Always glad to hear people benefit from the site.

I see your point, but it is no more or less arbitrary then basing it on DEF (which is in anycase what actually decides Armor weight in hero) and in a campiagn using Sectional armor its far more efficient. And I did indeed look over the quoted sections, primarily the reason I'm not using somthing like the restrictions you mentioned is that I'm the only person in my group who actually knows a DCV roll from an OCV roll atm, most of my players have never even played a PnP game and one is a 2nd edition DnD vet (and she didn't like the no armor thing then either), so ease of use as well as ease of adjudication are helpful in this case. Assuming of course that I decide to keep such a restriction at all, your arguments are sensible and they've given me some things to think about.

I see your point' date=' but it is no more or less arbitrary then basing it on DEF (which is in anycase what actually decides Armor weight in hero) and in a campiagn using Sectional armor its far more efficient. And I did indeed look over the quoted sections, primarily the reason I'm not using somthing like the restrictions you mentioned is that I'm the only person in my group who actually knows a DCV roll from an OCV roll atm, most of my players have never even played a PnP game and one is a 2nd edition DnD vet (and she didn't like the no armor thing then either), so ease of use as well as ease of adjudication are helpful in this case. Assuming of course that I decide to keep such a restriction at all, your arguments are sensible and they've given me some things to think about.[/quote']

Glad to hear it.

I just try to express things in terms of obstacles that players can choose to overcome if it is important to them when possible. I find that not only does it generally work better systemically, but players can also feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when their character's excel and distinguish themselves in areas that make them stand out.

Actually, Shrike, I see it another way. The HERO system is meant to be a generic system which the GM then customizes to go with the nature of his or her campaign. As HERO GM's we're constantly tweaking the system and making arbitrary changes to make it fit better with our conceptualized campaign. For example, a Wheel of Time style campaign, a WuXia style campaign and a Conan campaign should all feel radically different, and this isn't just accomplished with point totals, but with GMs mucking around and making arbitrary (but logically justifiable) limits. The options inherent in the HERO system are actually there to be used as the GM wills or limited, not necessarily always used full-tilt.

Rob

I dont think you understand what Im saying. There is a difference between saying "here are the things that this Magic System can do, and here are the things that the System can't do", and just assessing penalties that flatly ignore the individualness of characters.

The various Magic Systems I've defined have their share of penalties, restrictions, and exceptions, but I've tried to ensure that all Control Factors are aimed at balancing a Magic System, that they are internally consistent, and that where possible they are relative or allow a character to overcome them with effort.