OIF vs Mec (Vehicle)

Drakkenkin

I was working on making two PC for some people that are new to the Hero System and I came to the following question.

Should a power suit for a hero level game be made as an OIF or as a Vehicle? Dose it matter?

The first PC will spend most of his time in the Suit. It will supply life support and a few other things. The suit will respond right away (be more of an extension of the PC) and be closely connected to the PC I thought the suit would be best modeled as an OIF/Durable/very difficult to replace.

The second PC was going to have a power suit as well but it was going to be more of a combat suit mec about 1.5 x the height and twice the width of the PC. The concept of the suit is it was once a personal asteroid mining mec converted for wartime. The suit will not respond as readily and the PC will not need to spend as much time in it. Besauce of this, I was thinking of making it as a vehicle.

Do these sound right, or should they be handled in another way (for instance the suit is just a FX)?

What foundation do you think these suits should be built on?

Re: OIF vs Mec (Vehicle)

Either will work, there how however two main differences that you need to be careful of.

First the easy one. The point costs will vary between the two because of the 5:1 break you get for vehicles. On the other hand you have to pay for some stuff that's assumed with a character. Depending upon the point totals for your game, this may be a issue.

Second and most important- damage is resolved against each differently. A character in a vehicle won't be taking stun damage unless an attack breaches the armor on the vehicle and even then only when he's rolled up on the hit location. That means that to take him out, you're going to have to seriously damage the suit. This may or may not be genre.

And that last point should determine which option you go with. Do you expect to see damaged components and bleeding crew when attacks hit (gritty sci-fi), or do you expect to be able to whack them silly without serious injury to person or even suit (like in many superhero settings).

How you answer that question should determine your decision.

Playtest it first btw and see for yourself how it works.

I'd say that your reasoning is sound. As long as they don't pay points for the suits, the actual build becomes less of a priority. But Durable might not be needed; I mean, as a suit of armor, the Defenses will already be high enough. And the replacement rules only pertain to Expendable Foci.

. . . And how do you mean, 'foundation'? If you mean the actual build, that's entirely up to you and your players. But, just for the heck of it:

OEU Hauberk Battle Suit, Mk. 2: Armor, 12 PD/12 ED, Hardened (+1/4); 45 APts; OIF (-1/2); 30 RPts and STR +10; OIF (-1/2); 6 RPts and Life Support: Self-Contained Breathing, Immunity To All Diseases, Poisons And Toxins; OIF (-1/2), 1 Continuing Charge (6 Hours; -0); 20 RPts and Life Support: Safe In Vacuum, Safe In High Pressure, Safe In Intense Heat, Safe In Intense Cold, Safe In Radiation; OIF (-1/2); 6 RPts. Total 62 Character Points.

How's that for a suit? I'll have to think more for the vehicle, though . . .

Should a power suit for a hero level game be made as an OIF or as a Vehicle? Dose it matter?
I discuss this to some extent in the Introduction to The Ultimate Vehicle. Basically it depends less on the points you bring up than on how the suit works. Basically, if the suit provides its own strength, movement, and so forth; it's a Vehicle; if it merely enhances that of its wearer, it's an OIF. (There's a little more to that, and it's explained more clearly in the book, but that's the basics.)

Thanks for the input!

This will be the first game I'll be running. I want to make sure I don't make a decision I'll regret later, and I'm a little worried about making things balanced. Anyway, I thought I would post the two versions of the Mining Mec (militant and non Militant) for anyone that would like to use them or for tweaking.

I'm thinking I'll go with a 150 to 200 pt campaign where each person gets some impressive equipment, or vehicle. The more the perk will be useful (could be used more often) the fewer points I will spend on it.

As for the feel of the game, I'm hoping to give a grittier feel to the campaign. I will be using to hit locations, bleeding, damaged parts, and the like. I plan to keep combat down, but when it does crop up I'm hoping the players will see it as a means to an ends not because they can/have to.

Bemith BmV1

[b]Vehicle Name:  Bemith BmV1
Owners Name:  
Additional Info:  [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
2     SIZE    10   2                 Length 1.59",  Width 0.79",   Area 1.26"   Mass 400 kg   KB -2      
35    STR     15   35      16-       HTH Damage 7d6  END [3]
10    DEX     0    10      11-       OCV 3 DCV 2
10    BODY    -2   10      11-
4     DEF     6    4                   
2     SPD     0    2                 Phases:  6, 12
21    RUN     30   21"                END [0]
0     SWIM    -2   0"                END [0]
0     LEAP    0    0"                0" forward, 0" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 57[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
    Basic Model
2     1)  [b][i]Heavy Construction (+100kg)[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -1" - END=0
5     2)  Ground Movement 0" (36" total), x3 Noncombat
3     3)  [b][i]Solar visor[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (3 points) - END=0
2     4)  [b][i]Regulated Cockpit volume[/i][/b]: Hearing Group Flash Defense (2 points) - END=0
10    5)  [b][i]Environmental Control [/i][/b]: LS  (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) - END=0
8     6)  [b][i]O2 RBT[/i][/b]: LS  (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5.5 Hours (Recovers Charge only a 'oxygen' refueling station; -1/4) [Notes: RBT = Recirculate breathing tank] - END=[1 cc]
10    7)  [b][i]Fuel Cell[/i][/b]: Endurance Reserve  (50 END, 12 REC) Reserve:  (17 Active Points); REC:  (12 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Fuel is  difficult to obtain; -1 1/4) - END=0
10    8)  [b][i]Communication Unit[/i][/b]: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) - END=0
3     9)  [b][i]RAD Scope[/i][/b]: Detect: Radiation A Single Thing 9- (Sight Group) [Notes: This senser unit is used to pick up moderate levels of radiation and convert it into images for the pilot to navigate and work buy.] - END=0

Option: PR [Notes: The Left arm unit it taken off and replaced with a PPRU. The arm unit that holds the PPRU is fixed for forward firing to limit industrial accidents. It's main use is for drilling holes.]
16     1)  [b][i]Plasma Pulse Rail (PPR) MtV3[/i][/b]: RKA 4d6 (vs. ED), AP (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Minimum STR (STR min does't add/subtract damage) (25; -1 1/4), OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Very Limited Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Inaccurate (Plasma Kick Back) 1/2 OCV (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Max Range: ~16"

Damage by range: 0-3" : 3d6, 4-6" : 2.5, 7-9" : 2d6, 10-12" : 1.5d6, 13-16" : 1d6] - END=9

Option:  RE [Notes: Created to be mobile light creators for the mineworkers, these units bath areas in radiation that are to dark to see and have insufficient ambient. Allowing the worker units to see better in these areas.

These units are often placed on Bemith taking cargo up and down in the mines. This way they will keep the area iluminated as they get other work done.]
20     [b][i]RE Device[/i][/b]: Multipower, 40-point reserve,  (40 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1) - END=
1u     1)  Sight Group Images Increased Size (16" radius; +1) (20 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), OIF Bulky (-1) (uses END Reserve) - END=2
2u     2)  [b][i]Radiation Emitter[/i][/b]: CE 16" radius, +1 Points of Damage, Long-Lasting 6 Hours (40 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Dammage is NND Vs protection from or immunity from radiation] - END=4

Option: FP  
17     [b][i]Force Pick[/i][/b]: Multipower, 67-point reserve,  (67 Active Points); all slots OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Hammer[/i][/b]: HKA 3d6 (4d6+1 w/STR) (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=7
1u     2)  [b][i]Spike[/i][/b]: HKA 3d6 (4d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD), AP (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=7

Option: Zero-G Mod  
6      1)  Clinging (40 STR) (12 Active Points); Cling STR reduction by 2/3 (-1) [Notes: Modified feet platforms, they are used to aid movement in zero-g environments and can be used to resist KB as one might experiance on a world with high winds.] - END=0
-17    2)  Ground Movement -6", - x2 Noncombat (42" total) (-17 Active Points) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 100[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Phys. Lim.:  Limited mobility (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Soc. Lim.:  Immediately attacked by RACE X as an enemy (Occasionally, Severe)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 25[/b]

Total Character Cost: 157

Bemith Militant BmV2

[b]Vehicle Name:  Bemith Militant BmV2
Owners Name:  
Additional Info:  [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
2     SIZE    10   2                 Length 1.59",  Width 0.79",   Area 1.26"   Mass 400 kg   KB -2      
40    STR     20   40      17-       HTH Damage 8d6  END [4]
15    DEX     15   15      12-       OCV 5 DCV 4
16    BODY    4    16      12-
8     DEF     18   8                   
2     SPD     0    2                 Phases:  6, 12
18    RUN     24   18"               END [0]
0     SWIM    -2   0"                END [0]
0     LEAP    0    0"                0" forward, 0" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 89[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
    Basic Model
2     1)  [b][i]Heavy Construction (+100kg)[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -1" - END=0
10    2)  Ground Movement 0" (30" total), x8 Noncombat
5     3)  [b][i]Solar visor[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
4     4)  [b][i]Regulated Cockpit volume[/i][/b]: Hearing Group Flash Defense (4 points) - END=0
10    5)  [b][i]Environmental Control [/i][/b]: LS  (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) - END=0
10    6)  LS  (Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (Recovers Charge only when 'oxygen' Suit is in a clean 'oxygen' environment; +0) - END=[1 cc]
13    7)  [b][i]Fule Cell[/i][/b]: Endurance Reserve  (60 END, 15 REC) Reserve:  (21 Active Points); REC:  (15 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Fuel is  difficult to obtain; -1 1/4) - END=0
10    8)  [b][i]Communication Unit[/i][/b]: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) - END=0
5     9)  [b][i]RAD Scope[/i][/b]: Detect: Radiation A Single Thing 11- (Sight Group) [Notes: This senser unit is used to pick up moderate levels of radiation and convert it into images for the pilot to navigate and work buy.] - END=0

Option PR2 [Notes: The Left arm unit it taken off and replaced with a PPR2U. Originally the Arm was fixed in a strictly forward facing firing arc under the logic that it would minimize industrial accidents. The mechanics that were
    impeding the unit’s movement were removed allowing the weapon to cover a full 180-degree arc in front of the miner.

The power output was worked with during the redesign. At the cost of the end output power the engineers were able to
    get the unit to fire nearly instantaneously compared to the old firing time of one minute. 

The engineers are currently trying to increase the accuracy of the weapon by way of various recoil dampening and gyrostabilizers, but they 
    have not had much success.

Nevertheless, the work that had been done so far combined with the removal of the range dampeners has made this item a useful tool on the battlefield in trained hands.]
16     1)  [b][i]Plasma Pulse Rail (PPR) Mt2[/i][/b]: RKA 3 1/2d6 (vs. ED), AP (+1/2) (82 Active Points); Minimum STR (STR min does't add/subtract damage) (25; -1 1/4), OIF Bulky (-1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), 
          Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Inaccurate (Plasma Kick Back) 1/2 OCV (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 
         [Notes: Max Range: ~16"

Damage by range: 0-4" : 4d6, 4-8" : 3d6, 9-12" : 3.5d6, 13-16" : 2d6, 17-22" : 2.5d6, 23-31" : 1d6] - END=16

Option RE2 [Notes: Like their predecessors, these units bath an area in radiation. Unlike their predecessors they have been modified for combat. The low level radiation that the unit used to emit has been replaced with a high 
    intensity short life radiation. This weapons primary use is for anti-infantry and personnel.]
18     1)  EB 2d6 (vs. ED), Damage Shield (+1/2), NND ([standard]; Protection from intense radiation; +1), AOE Nonselective (6" Radius; +1), Two-Dimensional (-1/4), Conforming (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) (uses END Reserve) - END=4

Option FP
17     [b][i]Force Pick[/i][/b]: Multipower, 67-point reserve,  (67 Active Points); all slots OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2)
1u     1)  [b][i]Spike[/i][/b]: HKA 3d6 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), AP (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=7
1u     2)  [b][i]Hammer[/i][/b]: HKA 3d6 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Minimum STR (20; -1), Two-Handed item (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=7

Option Zero-G Mod - Griping feet
6      1)  Clinging (45 STR) (12 Active Points); Cling STR reduction by 2/3 (-1) [Notes: Modified feet platforms, they are used to aid movement in zero-g environments and can be used to resist KB as one might experiance on a world with high winds.] - END=0
-15    2)  Ground Movement -5", - x2 Noncombat (42" total) (-15 Active Points) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 113[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Phys. Lim.:  Limited mobility (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Soc. Lim.:  Immediately attacked by RACE X as an enemy (Occasionally, Severe)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 25[/b]

Total Character Cost: 202