Find Weakness Plus Tunneling equals ?

TheEmerged

Question

I love it when my players do this to me :D

I have two closely-related questions; the first is broader and the second a specific case of the first.

#1> Find Weakness can be used to halve (or quarter, or more...) the defenses of a "target" according to its description. Tunneling is limited to the DEF of the material the character is trying to move through. During a sample combat my players are helping me put together for my website, it occured to one of the players that Find Weakness could, theoretically, be used to reduce the effective DEF of the material the character is trying to tunnel through.

My initial reaction as GM was "Heck No!" -- but I have to admit I'm second guessing myself. In particular, it seems to me this could make an interesting combination with a possible self-limiting factor. As such, I'm appealing this one to the Ultimate GM :D

Which of the following is the appropriate interaction of these two powers?

1. Heck No!
  2. Find Weakness roll must be made each phase, allowing the PC to make a half-phase tunneling move.
  3. As #3, but declaring that each hex of material represents a new target (reducing effective tunneling movement to 1")
  4. Why not? Only require new Find Weakness rolls when the material being tunneled through changes.
  5. I've overlooked the obvious

FOLLOW-THRU

Okay, assuming that the answer to the above isn't "Heck No!", how should this affect the cost of the Find Weakness?

For reference, check out Armadillo's writeup in CKC (page 120-121). He has his Tunneling as an ultra slot in his "Blaster Array" multipower, and Find Weakness at 11- "with Blaster Array and Battle Claws". Assuming this combo is legal, it looks to me like Armadillo can use this combo because the Tunneling is within the Find Weakness's definition.

Thank you for your time.

1 answer to this question

We’ll call that a “heck, no!” ;) Characters cannot use Find Weakness to reduce the DEF of a wall or like object so they can Tunnel through it.

I don’t see that it would affect the cost of Find Weakness at all on a character like Armadillo.