A Surfer homage, or what to do with 1050pts?

Snake Gandhi

Okay, my current HERO group just finished our street-level game and we all decided to go for something a bit higher powered. Apparently, while out drinking the others in the group decided to do a Defenders game, with all of us making Defender homage characters with sliding point scales. We've already got our Hulk (Rampage, 750 Brick), our Dr Strange (Dr Destiny, 850 Super-Mage), and our Namor (Posiedon, 950 Mage/Brick/God of the Seas). I got handed 1050 points (900 + 150 disads) and told to make a Silver Surfer homage.

Now, I was never much of a marvel guy, so my knowledge of the shiny guy is limited, which is why I'm asking for advice. I asked our GM for advice, but all he told me 'he's got to have a Cosmic VPP of some kind' From what I've read my guy should be really tough, be able to fly through space pretty quick, and and he's got the Power Cosmic aka a Cosmic Power Pool of unknown size.

So, Hero-philes and Comic-guys alike, any advice on what to give this guy (or advice on a good name:))

Re: A Surfer homage, or what to do with 1050pts?

Hmm, well, I'm not a big reader of Marvel either, but I would give him at least 25 if not 30 points of armor. His surfboard is what lets him fly (make it a multipower for flight and FTL travel, maybe megascale flight as well). You might be able to buy him some armor with the board itself along with a limitation that it would use both hands (he didn't use it that much, but when he did, he didn't attack at the same time, if I recall). Life Support is a must. I don't know at all about mental defense and wouldn't think Lack of Weakness (though mabye a little), but I can see him having 20 pts easy of Power Defense.

For disadvantages, about once or twice a year he'd start reflecting and crying about Shalla-Bal (something like that) and her loss along with the loss of his home planet. :D

Re: A Surfer homage, or what to do with 1050pts?

Build a 300 point character along the lines Kirby suggests, with decent stats. Add in a 300 point Cosmic Power Pool for the remaining 750 points, and you're pretty much there.

Hey, if it takes 450 to make the base character (and remember, the Pool will hold all your attacks), you still have a 260 point Pool.

"Face the Power Cosmic" pretty much meant "I can travel through time and space, other dimensions, blast you out of the sky, suck the gamma rays out of the Hulk, let you breathe in space and comprehend any language, change an ash tray to solid gold and whatever else you need done, I'm your guy"

Disad's? Probably a CvK, though maybe at the 15 point level rather than 20, a reaction to past service with Galactus. Distinctive Features, of course. Reputation as a (former) herald of a planet-destroyer. Make him as a "starting Surfer" and "No Knowledge of Earth Culture" makes sense. Hunteds, whether other cosmic characters or alien survivors of destroyed (eaten) worlds also makes sense. A vastly more powerful Hunted on an 8- (old Galactus himself used to show up fairly commonly, and when he didn't, Mephisto did, looking for that pure and noble soul). Some of the classic "super boy scout" disad's are also appropriate, despite his lousy reputation he always pulled for the little guy. Oh, and he's definitely overconfident.

Names? Just pick a different sport, a different colour and a different focus and you're there. "The Scarlet Skier" has been done, I believe. The Chartreuse Skateboarder?