Book Recomendation: Houdini, Tarzan and the Perfect Man

OddHat

Houdini, Tarzan, and the Perfect Man, by John F. Kasson

I was trying to remember the title of this book when speaking with Steve Long at GenCon, and couldn't. So, I'm throwing it out here.

The book is a triple mini-biography of Harry Houdini, Eugen Sandow, and Edgar Rice Bourroughs, with a view towards what their lives and careers said about turn of the century views on masculinity. It's not dull; each of these men are perfect Pulp characters, myth makers who helped shape the coming Pulp era and the Superheroes that followed. Non-fiction.

Quick micro bios:

Houdini - Escape artist, second tier strongman, paranormal debunker, self-re-inventor. As close to a pulp hero as the real world provides, at least as far as his skill set is concerned.

Sandow - Father of modern bodybuilding, the Arnold of his time. Strongman, second tier wrestler and boxer, salesman, conman, liar and self promoter. A great rival for your pulp heroes, or a model hero if his lies about his adventures and past had been true.

Burroughs - Creator of Tarzan. Failed soldier, real cowboy, business advisor (a job he hated), author, traveller. Beef him up and he becomes an excellent gentleman adventurer. Half the Hidden Lands your pulp characters visit were popularized by Burroughs.

If you are at all interested in historical characters and events to help provide a framework for your Pulp Adventurers, this book is a very good choice.

Re: Book Recomendation: Houdini, Tarzan and the Perfect Man

There are a few other books that I have seen like that. "The Adventure of The Peerless Peer" BY Philip Jose Farmer (Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes and some cameos by other well known Pulp characters) and "Twenty Years Beyond Baker Street" by Cay Van Ash (Holmes and Watson help Nyland Smith thwart Dr Fu Manchu !) I have read another one called "The Adventure Of The Ectoplasmic Man" which features Holmes and Houdini but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it at the moment !

Thanks for the suggestion, Oddhat. I'll have a look at that one (things used to be so much easier when I worked in a bookshop).

For a non-biographical take on several well-known figures it's worth getting a copy of the graphic novel Necronauts, which pits H.P. Lovecraft, Charles Fort and Harry Houdini against a menace from beyond. Perfect inspiration for weirder, mystic pulp adventures.

There are a few other books that I have seen like that. "The Adventure of The Peerless Peer" BY Philip Jose Farmer (Tarzan' date=' Sherlock Holmes and some cameos by other well known Pulp characters) and "Twenty Years Beyond Baker Street" by Cay Van Ash (Holmes and Watson help Nyland Smith thwart Dr Fu Manchu !) I have read another one called "The Adventure Of The Ectoplasmic Man" which features Holmes and Houdini but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it at the moment ![/quote']

I love the books you've mentioned, but I should point out that Houdini, Tarzan and the Perfect Man is non-fiction. What makes it interesting from a pulp point of view is how well these real-world characters would work in a World of Adventure.