Towed movement for a ground vehicle

caris

Question

Hi Steve,

I’m just trying to make sure that I understand the official rule correctly, and I can’t find anything about it in the FAQ. Let’s assume that I’m building a rickshaw. This would seem to be best represented with towed movement as discussed and defined on pages 36 and 37. Further assuming that for our example that the rickshaw with it's passenger masses 75 kg, that we are on earth at sea level, that the rickshaw has at least 10†of towed movement, that the all potential towers have 6†of running. As I understand the rule the following will be true:

A single potential tower with an effective STR of 8 or less would not be able to move a vehicle.

I’m not sure what the effect on a potential tower of an effective STR 9 would be, but I suspect that anyway you calculate it that a STR 9 would not be able to lift more than 83kg.

A single potential tower with an effective STR of 10 would be limited to 2†(combat) of ground movement.

A single potential tower with an effective STR of 11, 12, or 13 would be limited to 4†(combat) of ground movement.

A single potential tower with an effective STR of 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 would be limited to 5†(combat) of ground movement.

A single potential tower with an effective STR of 19 or greater would be at full (combat) of ground movement of 6 inches.

Is this a reasonably accurate example of how the towed vehicle rules work? If not, please indicate what would be accurate.

1 answer to this question

If a tower has 6" movement, and the rickshaw weighs 75 kg, then we look to the Encumbrance rules to determine how much STR he has to have to move it.

Per the Encumbrance rules, a character must be at least 25% Encumbered before he loses any inches of movement. As long as 75 kg is 24% or less of a tower's maximum lift from STR, he can move the rickshaw at his maximum Running or 10", whichever is less. At 25%, he loses 1"; at 50%, he loses 2"; and so on.

I don't have time to run through every single calculation, but obviously STR 8 can't move it -- 75 kg is all he can lift, so he's fully Encumbered. STR 18 loses 1", because 75 is exactly 25% of his maximum of 300 kg. Therefore, STR 19 and higher loses no movement and can move the rickshaw at 6".