Minor clarification on foci "of opportunity"

Sunday_Gamer

Question

Hey Steve,

Thanks for settling that wee debate of foci breakability posted by one of my illustrious players, I would be the afore mentioned GM in his post. I'm also going to get a print out in ginormous letters of just the part where you said " Your GM is absolutely right" I'm gonna get it on cards, banners, I'm hiring planes to write it in the sky in huge smokey script...

Now, just to clarify, because as I've mentioned, me and my players are rules ninjas, so you gotta cover your tracks, always.

You said: First, if a character can do this with any french fry, it's an OIF, not OAF, because he can use any "french fry of opportunity." The fact that any given fry can be taken away from him easily is negated by the fact that he can easily grab another fry.

Now I assume you meant that the "of opportunity" tag reduces the value of the OAF as to make it equivalent to an OIF, but it remains an Accessible focus in as much as it can still be taken from the character with a grab maneuver.

I know, I'm nit picking, force of habit, everything...has to be... perfect.

Sunday

Thanks in advance for your speedy and helpful replies, please feel free to post "Your GM is absolutely right" whenever the urge takes you.

1 answer to this question

Re: Minor clarification on foci "of opportunity"

There's some discussion of this on 5ER 292, under "Inaccessible Foci." Accessible Foci of opportunity are counted as Inaccessible because it's so difficult to deprive a character of them -- sure, you can take one away as if it were Accessible, but the character just picks up another one. Depriving him of them is as difficult as if the Focus were Inaccessible... so for game purposes, that's how it's bought.