Modern day fantasy ala Changeling or Gaiman

Greg

A while back I picked up WW's Changeling game and more recently I've finished reading American Gods and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman of Sandman fame. I'm hankering to either do a one shot or a con game that puts characters in a similar world. For those that don't know both of these settings are sort of like Alice in Wonderland, Xanth, Thomas Covenant, Woman on the Edge of Time or Oz where a character in the normal world gets sucked into a fantasy world somehow connected to the real one. The characters never quite know if the world is real or not, but ultimately they don't care because they have a better time there. They're usually thought to be insane by the general populace and may be homeless while they are in our world.

I'm looking for anyone else who has thought about this and come up with plot hooks or character ideas. The most interesting aspect for me is their interaction with both worlds and not just the fantasy one. Also, the fact that they all may just be insane and the world is just made up is pretty thought provoking. I really like Gaiman's Neverwhere where they are physically in the real world, but somehow the normals can't really perceive the fantasy realm.