Mental Illusions: Clarification

Immortaldreamer

Question

Not quite...the question is more a matter of...where is the threshold of being -able- to realize it's an illusion.

Example: Professor Xavier is in Alkalai Lake when he's zapped by Mastermind. He's suddenly in a mental illusion of being at the X-Mansion. His reaction isn't "How in the world did I end up at the mansion!" I.E., he doesn't believe he's been teleported, he's clearly been affected by the illusion to the extent he -doesn't even question- the reality with which he's presented.

Much as with the Mind Control modifier of Target not realizing they've been Mind Controlled...does Mental Illusions assume this as a base level? If I'm fighting EvilMan and we're the only two people in the room, and suddenly there's a Mental Illusion of an agent holding a gun to the head of a civilian...does the target of the Illusion -realize- there's anything odd about the sudden appearance of agent and civilian? Or does the power, since it's one's own brain creating the image, force one to "gloss over" the implausibility of the situation and react to it as if it is logical reality?

1 answer to this question

The answer is the same: evidence of un-believability, including knowledge that someone has an illusion power, raises the threshold needed for the Effect Roll. If the character achieves the effect he needs, then the power works and the target believes he's experiencing whatever the illusion tells him he is. The "this seems questionable..." aspect comes in via the increase in required Effect Roll.