Some rule questions

Grond

Question

Hello! Yesterday, after a long period of pause me and my friends decided to start a Hero campaign, so just to familiarize with the rules again after years of different systems, we picked the Champions out of the Champions rulebook and improvised a danger room scenario.

Actually there were far more questions trhat needed clarifications than we expected.

1) Sapphire flew against Ironclad and shot her Flash. When it was Ironclad's turn, he moved just in front of Sapphire's hex and jumped upward 5" to punch her: so, Ironclad had to target his own hex (where he jumped from) or the hex 5" above (with relative minuses)? If so he would land in a floating hex and would fall? If he had to target his own hex, I assumed he had to consider a 10" distance factor (5" upward and 5" downward), and the hex to be DCV 3, since even if it was the same he jumped from, it was teorethically 10" away, right?

2) Assuming he had to jup 5" upward and target the hex in front of her to punch Sapphire, does he take falling damage when he lands? Or if he has to target the hex he started from, I assume he could only make Move By since he could not land on a flaoting hex?

3) After he was blinded, Ironclad jumped to the opposite side of the danger room, but since he was blind he missed the target square by a few hexes and his line passed through a huge Def 10 body 10 column. We assumed that he took damage as if doing a move through (he scored 24 BODY so he took only half damage) but this sounded a bit weird, do you consider a willing attacker doing a move through the same as a blind character incidentally hitting against an obstacle (like a invisible force field)? I would assume a unprepared character would be hit much harder if he didnt expect the hit!

4) Sapphire was entangled by Defender's bolo gun, I assumed he could move anyway since the bolo didn't hinder her flight powers, but my friends did not and that i had to crystallize in flight on my hex 5" above ground. Who was right?

5) This on'es not really clear to me: I had a 6 DEF 8 BODY entangle surrounding me. Ironclad punched me with a 13 BODY punch, whch means I do not take any BODY nor STUN damage (right?) but leaves a 1 BODY, 6 DEF Entangle surrounding me. Then Defender blasts me with his 3d6 RKA and rolls 9 BODY and 36 STUN. This means 6 BODY are absorbed by the entange, 1 more destroys the bolo, and 2 BODY go through and clash agaisnt my personal defenses. But what about the STUN? It is written that the damage done to the entangled character is absorbed by the entangle and that only the damage that gets through is calculated, so do I have to:

- apply the multiplier to the 2 BODY that got through

- apply 6 DEF and take therefore only 30 STUN

- apply 6 DEF and 1 BODY and take therefore only 29 STUN

6)

1 answer to this question

Re: Some rule questions

Glad to hear you're starting a campaign!

1-2. See 5ER 196 re: targeting hexes with a Leap. See the Rules FAQ in the Powers section, under “Leaping” re: what happens after a character performs a Half Move with Leap.

3. He takes damage as if performing a Move Through with 0 STR.

4. See 5ER 166 re: discussion of Entangle’s effect on movement.

5. An Entangle’s DEF reduces the damage done by attacks against the Entangled character as normal. An Entangle does not function like a Force Wall (i.e., it doesn’t prevent all STUN damage until BODY gets through).

6. There is no question #6. ;)