Aid (and other Adjustments) to Expendable Characteristics

Hugh Neilson

Question

Please confirm or explain how I am mistaken.

Similarly, if a character has an expendable Characteristic or Power boosted to the maximum effect possible using an Adjustment Power, and he then uses up or removes some of what he gained, the Adjustment Power cannot be applied again until the Adjustment Power would fade naturally."

Assume my character has 50 END naturally, and 10d6 Aid to END, Continuous. We'll make it Self Only. [We won't discuss what assumptions you must make about the campaign, my munchkin tendencies or my GM, if it's all the same to you...] Let's give him a 10 REC to cap off ther example.

When he woke up this morning, he started his Continuous END (using a half phase while showering), so he's now sitting at 170 END (50 natural + 60 CP x 2 END per CP = 120 Aided). He;s ambushed, poor sucker! Retaliating wildly, he spends 125 END in the first turn of combat (good thing his GM doesn't use LTE rules), leaving him with 45 END.

As I interpret the rules, the following chain of events ccures in regards to his END:

(a) All of his Aided END has been expended, so he doesn't have any fade in PS 12.

(B) He has a 10 REC, so he could recover up to 10 END. However, his max END is 50, so he recovers 5 END, and is now at 50 END. In other words, he recovers no portion of the END from Aid which was expended. [say that 5 times fast!]

© He begins the next turn with 50 END.

(d) When his phase comes along, he can roll 10d6 for his Continuous Aid. He roills his 10d6 and, regardless of the total, gains 10 END (being a fadeate of 5 x 2 END per CP) because that's all the Aided END that would have faded naturally at this point.

I believe this is correct by the bookl (page reference above). Of course, the GM could rule that he can Recover the Aided END (similar to the "GM permission" for characters with lengthy fade rates discussion on that page), but the Aid itself could not enhance his END in turn 2 by more than 5 CP, or 10 END, because that's the amount of the Aid which has faded to that point in time.

Am I correct in this interpretation?

Thanks as always

1 answer to this question