Best Way to Simulate a Thrown Hammer?

Speedball

Hi all,

I'm bulding a brick who is modeled on the Welsh god of smiths. I'm trying to figure out how to more accurately build an attack power that approximates the effect of a thrown hammer. It's a 450-point campaign, and so far I have the following:

16d6 Energy Blast; 1 recoverable charge (-1 1/4), Range based on STR (-1/4), Restrainable (-1/2).

I think that's pretty standard as far as it goes, but how do I simulate the fact that the attack can't be spread like a "normal" energy blast? I don't want to use the "beam" limitation because that comes with the caveat that the attack is always at 16d6 and that doesn't make sense, since he could vary the strength of the throw.

Ideas?

Re: Best Way to Simulate a Thrown Hammer?

Hi all,

I'm bulding a brick who is modeled on the Welsh god of smiths. I'm trying to figure out how to more accurately build an attack power that approximates the effect of a thrown hammer. It's a 450-point campaign, and so far I have the following:

16d6 Energy Blast; 1 recoverable charge (-1 1/4), Range based on STR (-1/4), Restrainable (-1/2).

I think that's pretty standard as far as it goes, but how do I simulate the fact that the attack can't be spread like a "normal" energy blast? I don't want to use the "beam" limitation because that comes with the caveat that the attack is always at 16d6 and that doesn't make sense, since he could vary the strength of the throw.

Ideas?

I think they put "Can't be spread" and "Full power only" into a limitation together because neither quite justifies a -1/4 limitation on its own. So a -0 limit is probably what the powers that be would consider the appropriate value for "Can't be spread" by itself, unless you can come up with some other minor, -0 limit. to bundle it with.

I'm curious why you used Restrainable instead of a Focus limitation. If it flies back to his hand (like a certain thunder god's hammer), the recoverable charge limit doesn't seem appropriate.

I'm curious why you used Restrainable instead of a Focus limitation. If it flies back to his hand (like a certain thunder god's hammer), the recoverable charge limit doesn't seem appropriate.

That is true from *one* point of view. Another would be to say that if the character is restrained, some one holding the hammer FOREX, the character could not launch the attack. The rules do allow for the use of powers in entangles and grabs, with this build the character cannot. Works for me.

Hawksmoor

24 (60) Hammer of DOOM 60 Point Mulitipower, OAF (-1), HA Limitation (-1/2)

2u (60) Sma****y Death!8d6 HA, No End (+1/2)

1u (60) Flying Sma****y Death! 8d6 HA, Ranged (+1/2), 1 Recoverable Charge (), Lockout (-1/2)

Isn't that nicer?

‘Range Based on Strength’ is a gimme in the best of times, but a strength based god in a 600 point campaign is going to have a ‘throwing distance’ of FARTHER than the range would otherwise be. That’s not a limitation. :)

---

“When I rub it, it gets bigger!â€

I'm curious why you used Restrainable instead of a Focus limitation. If it flies back to his hand (like a certain thunder god's hammer)' date=' the recoverable charge limit doesn't seem appropriate.[/quote']

The hammer doens't fly back, hence the recoverable charge. He's going to have to go and pick the thing up again, which usually isn't going to happen in the midst of a battle. As for restrainable, I think the last poster summed up my thinking pretty well.

Didn’t think of the ‘environmental effects’ angle. I can buy it as sort of a combo of a bunch of little limitations that aren’t worth enough by themselves, like the old ‘blade’ limitation.

As long as it doesn’t show up with ‘Gestures: Throw Hammer!’ or the -1/4 version of Restrainable. :)

---

No fair. You can have stabbity death, but apparently not sma****y death.

That’s religious discrimination!