Luck /Unluck modifier

Patriot

A suggestion has come up in my game for the advantage Cumulative to be allowed for luck and unluck

5 d6 of unluck would be worth 50 Disad points

and the cost of luck would double also

When things are good they just kepp getting better, when they are bad they just get worse

Example: Psycho the Chaos mage has 3d6 unluck with cumulative on it, a situation arises which he needs to roll his unluck, and 1 dice activates, (a minor small effect). Later in the same episode, he needs to make the roll again, this time 2 dice activate, but since it is cumulative, it effects as 3 dice(something pretty awfull happens0

Would any one out there allow this ?

It will be a great tool for the Gm, but has the oportunity to be abused.

Any input folks?

Re: Luck /Unluck modifier

Originally posted by Patriot

A suggestion has come up in my game for the advantage Cumulative to be allowed for luck and unluck

5 d6 of unluck would be worth 50 Disad points

and the cost of luck would double also

When things are good they just kepp getting better, when they are bad they just get worse

Example: Psycho the Chaos mage has 3d6 unluck with cumulative on it, a situation arises which he needs to roll his unluck, and 1 dice activates, (a minor small effect). Later in the same episode, he needs to make the roll again, this time 2 dice activate, but since it is cumulative, it effects as 3 dice(something pretty awfull happens0

Would any one out there allow this ?

It will be a great tool for the Gm, but has the oportunity to be abused.

Any input folks?

It could really get icky depending on how often luck rolls are allowed. If you could roll luck more than 2-4 times in an adventure, it could prove horribly unbalancing. It also gets much more unbalancing with more dice of luck/unluck. The trouble with luck is that the effects are exponential per success, not linear.

As an aside, I once had a character with ablative luck. He was a grand strategist and this ablative luck simulated his ability to plan for everything. The way it worked was if he started with 12D6 luck and rolled 2 6's on his first check, he'd get 10D6 luck for his next luck check. Every 6 rolled removed 1D6 from a subsequent check. This simulates that you can only plan just so much. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i like the idea of ablative luck.... very nice touch. As for the original question; Luck and unluck can be nasty to player and GM alike just on their basic level. I personally think that making it a cumulative effect would be a bit too much. I also limit the amount of luck & unluck a player can take. Usually no more than 4d6 for either side of it. and that has thrown a wrench in things before.

Bryan