When are Package Deal Stat Mods Applied?

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve;

I've going around with one of my player's on this puppy. He's maintaining that there's an inherent system flaw by allowing people to apply their Racial Package Deal modifiers outside of their base stats. My understanding of the rule is this:

A PC always has the same costs applied to their NCM, regardless. If you have an 18, and your Package puts you at 20, you still only spend two more points to hit 22.

He's saying: that's a flaw in the system, and easily abusable. Even though the points are 'purchased' outside of the normal point buy, they should count against NCM.

What does RAW say? Which makes more sense to you?

Thanks!

~DEM

1 answer to this question

Re: When are Package Deal Stat Mods Applied?

FH page 34, top right, has some of the rules on this. Going beyond that, no, the points gained from a Package Deal aren't "free" from NCM rules. For example, if a character gets +5 STR from his Package Deal, he starts with STR 15. He can spend five more points, at the 1-for-1 cost, to buy his STR up to 20. If he wants to go beyond 20, it costs 2-for-1 due to the NCM rules. He does not get to buy up to 25 at 1-for-1 just because his Package Deal starts him at 15.

To put it another way, Package Deal bonuses to Characteristic do not "apply... outside of their base stats" -- they're treated like the regular method of buying Characteristics, and fully subject to the NCM rules.