One Hex Accurate - AOE special, or normal ability?

Thia Halmades

Question

Two things in a very basic morning post:

When a power is One Hex Accurate it only targets the Hex, which is way easier to hit. Good enough. Is that something that is purchased for the power as part of the spell, or is it just "Hex Accurate" as described in the early 300s? (don't have my text with me). Do all AOE attacks have Hex Accurate? If they don't, and they miss, what happens?

Second, during our initial test run the NPC cultist/assassin who was lying in wait for the PCs tossed a flash-bang on a held action when the room was breached by a PC (6d6 Flash Sight/6d6 Flash Sound) and the PCs had no Flash Defense. I hit them for 8 phases of blindness and 7 phases of deafness. Initially I thought that they would recover on their phases only, but the local HERO GM had said that in fact they recover across all phases, thus avoiding the problem of someone with a Speed 1 being blinded for 8 rounds while someone with a Speed 4 is only blinded for 2 rounds.

First, is that correct? It does make sense, and were it not correct it'd be a nifty house rule, but I'm going for accuracy before I muck about too badly. This chains into the other half of this question.

When using END in an Elemental Control on a Constant Power - say, Flight - you stay "flying" so long as you're paying END. K, that I get. If you stop paying END, you fall down & go boom. When is the END charged? And, assuming that you don't stop and take a recovery on, say, phase 4, you would only recover END on phase 12, correct? Are you charged on your phases only? Only when you move? Every phase, because reasonably other people are interacting with you?

And, finally, in the above example for Sorcerors in my campaign, I want to use an EC. That's easy. I give them an END Reserve and put a reasonable cap on it. Also easy. If they use a spell that draws END to be maintained, I assume it draws directly on the END reserve, not their personal END, correct?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Re: One Hex Accurate - AOE special, or normal ability?

Area Of Effect attacks are not normally Accurate; that's a special form of One Hex only. See 5ER 375-76 regarding missed Area Of Effect attacks.

A Flash affects a target for the number of Segments rolled, as described on 5ER 176. The target's SPD (and thus his Phases) have nothing to do with it; the effect lasts for the number of Segments (seconds) rolled.

The END cost for a Constant Power is paid per Phase, as discussed on 5ER 98 and 102.

A power defined as drawing END from an Endurance Reserve draws only from the Reserve. For a power to be able to draw from either is an Advantage, as discussed on 5ER 159.