Stacking - a d20/HERO cross over question.

Thia Halmades

Question

Good morning Steve;

Three of (I think) three.

In d20 there are specific rules on how to handle the stacking of abilities; for example, if you're wearing a Ring of Protection +2 and it counts as a magical bonus, I could not then give you a Cloak of Protection +1, which would also count as a magical bonus, because the +2 trumps it. This applies across the board to all modifier types - magic, armor, inherent, etc.

Is there a similar mechanic within HERO? I know that there's the doubling rule which caps out this sort of thing, and in the power of Healing the most you can Heal an individual is up to the power of the spell (thus avoiding tossing 7 Cure Light Wounds). That makes sense as well. Is there any internal ruling which covers this sort of thing? Despite that HERO eschews anything so bland as "+1" you can still be granted bonuses to do all sorts of crazy.

Does the type matter, outside of a campaign specific ruling regarding this? Does HERO by its nature render the question moot, because not everything is flinging "+1" and "+3" weapons around?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Re: Stacking - a d20/HERO cross over question.

There is no such rule in the HERO System, though someone could certainly establish a campaign ground rule that forbid more than X Combat Skill Levels to apply to a given attack, or X points of Resistant Defense regardless of source, or what have you.