My take on the CU, version 2.0

Mark Rand

When U.N.T.I.L. was formed a decision was made that required all agency personal stationed in a country be from that country and be under that country's chain of command. If there was a difference in orders between that country's orders and U.N.T.I.L.'s orders, the Security Council would determine who was right. For the most part, it was seen as agood plan. However, some countries, like the United States, wanted no part of it because they didn't want the Security Council determining what their troopps would do.

In the 1970s, a marker was found on Glastonbury Tor, in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, claiming that King Arthur and Queen Guinevere were buried there. Under the mane inscription were inscribed the names Ambrosius Aurelianus and Gwenhwyvar. About the same time, the remains of a timber frame hill fort were found on Cadbury Hill, near the village of South Cadbury in Somerset, England. It is believed by some that the hill fort was Camelot.

In 1992, Doctor Destroyer's base was discovered under Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He did not, however, have Mega-Terak. Instead, he had Godzilla. Most of the city was destroyed. In fact, the only public buildings left untouched were Three Rivers Stadium, Buhl Planetarium, The Carnegie Science Center, and Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. When he triggered the orbital bombardment cannon, the beam that made a mess of his underground base also destroyed the Carnegie Science Center.

Pittsburgh was eventually rebuilt as Millennium City. A number of projects were built by Harmon Industries, who now owns them, at the request of James Harmon IV, the company's Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, and his wife, Bethany, the company's President and Chief Operating Officer. The Harmons are also the sponsors of the Champions, the city's superhero team.

More to come.

Re: My take on the CU, version 2.0

Doctor Destroyer's destruction of Pittsburgh helped Congress decide to have the United States sign the U.N.T.I.L. treaty.

In 2003, an earthquake dropped Sunnydale, California, the campaign universe's equivlent of Santa Barbara, into a crater.

In May of 2004, the Sunnydale Crater National Park. Besides the crater, there are picnic tables and other usual facilities. Located inside a chain link fence, and covered by a plastic conopy, is a school bus. According to the sign on it, it's the last vehicle to leave Sunnydale.

In June of 2004, strange creatures, including dragons, attacked Los Angeles. They were repulsed by local heroes of all kinds, PRIMUS, U.N.T.I.L., the national guard, and the military.

In November of 2004, Senator John Collingsworth was elected President and Senatot Richard Martin was elected Vice President. Both John's wife, Katherine, and Richard's wife, June, are career women who have refused to quit their jobs. Katherine is head nurse of the ophthalmology clinic at George Washington University Medical Center's Ambulatory Care Center. June is an eye surgeon and on the faculty of George Washington University's medical school.

VIPER is an international criminal cartel with certain cult-like practices.

DEMON is lead by three demonsthat are trying to force the apocalypse. These demons are the Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart, and are the senior partners of the internationally-known law firm Wolfram and Hart.

Next, we'll begin looking at Millennium City and the surrounding area.

I forgot to mention the President's and Vice President's daughters.

Ten years ago, the Collingsworths adopted their daughter, Holly, a fifth-generation circus performer, after her parents died on her fourteenth birthday. Under the adoption decree, she was allowed to perform with the circus when she wasn't in school. Holly, who is still with the show, is now married.

The Martins' 17-year old daughter, Ronna, lives with her mother's parents in Millennium City and is in her senior year at Taylor Allderdice High School.

I'd like to clarify what Doctor Destroyer and his crew destroyed.

They destroyed the airport, inclines, the city's many bridges, gas stations, and streets, everything along the river, but the Buhl Planetarium and Three Rivers Stadium, Downtown Pittsburgh, and Oakland. The residential neighborhoods, however, are still intact.

After the dust settled over Pittsburgh, the fires were put out, the survivors rescued, and President George Bush Senior made his speech, the reconstruction began.

It was decided, for expediency, that the new bridges and roads would be placed over the old ones. Improvements, however, were made. Systems were added to the roads that heated them to a point where ice, snow, and rain were no longer a problem.

After the Allegheny County Port Authority's Transit Division went bust, a Harmon Industries subsubsidiary took over the transit business and, as the roads were being rebuilt, installed a new subway system. Like the old one, it was named the "T".

The corporation built facilities in Cranbury Township and on the North Shore of the Allegheny River, between the Seventh and Ninth Street Bridges. They also built, near Fort Duquesne Boulevard and 10th Street, a new convention center, a public arena, a hotel, and a large theater that doubles as a concert hall.

More to come.

Allegheny County wasn't the only place Harmon Industries added to their empire. Washington County also benefited from them.

Near Peters Township is an ice arena with two rinks. One is for general figure skating, the other for hockey. Many amateur leagues have games there.

Also in the county is Washington County Raceway, a motorsports comples featuring a 1/4 mile dragstrip, a 1/2 mile oval and a 2.66 mile road course. The dragstrip erves as the front straight for the oval and road course and the oval's back stretch is part of the road course. Turn seven is the road course's wildest turn. It's a cluster of esses with a 300 foot vertical drop. The Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca has a similiar turn. They call it the corkscrew.

Comment is invited.

More to come.

Various stuff to throw your way this time.

Public auditoriums, indoor sports arenas and houses of worship all have, with FCC permission, cell phone jammers. A number of area businesses ignore customers who talk on cell phones while there. See http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05013/441468.stm for furthur information.

Doctor Arcane's fastness, on Fifth Avenue, is the team's base.

Base housekeeper Donna Clark, a former hotel maid, and her husband, Jim, the base technical manager, attend services at the synagogue near the base. Since Jim played the trumpet in his high school's orchestra, he was talked into blowing the shofar.

Carol West, the team's legally-blind secretary/receptionist, has her desk in the foyer. Ginger, her guide dog, a beautiful golden retreiver, naps nearby.

The Jim Clark mentioned in the above post is the same one mentioned in the thread "Voltron (http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40317).

Jim and Donna own a Dodge Magnum and use it for personal and team errands.

President Collingsworth had the U.S. Department of Transportation reverse the ruling that required states to allow a right turn on red in order to receive federal highway money. Now, they are required to forbid it in order to require that money.

The active heroes are Doctor Arcane, a mage who looks like a young Fred Astaire and is accompanied by his familiar, a black cat named Isis, and Black Scorpion, a female ninja. The woman behind the mask is publicly-known to be Keiko Nakamura, an heiress and a mamber of a family with many ninjas in it. Like many people, Keiko loves fast cars. She drives a Lamborghini Murcialago, which is also her Scorpionbomile, and competes in SCCA-sanctioned events in a Lamborghini Diablo.

Mariko Nakamura, Millennium City's Silver Avenger, is a cousin of Keiko's and the current holder of the clan's honor sword, a 400-year old katana that was crafted by a master and has been used in many battles.

NASA and the Millennium City University Medical Center have teamed up to create a Space Medicine Research Center within the Medical Center's Oakland campus. Among other things it has are a centrifuge and a three-axis chair.

Here are two other items of space news to chew on.

1) A craft the size of the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars has been seen in the Millennium City area and is believed to be hidden nearby.

2) Boeing has developed a single stage to orbit cargo-carrying shuttle that resembles the Boing 747. The name on the hull of the first one is Enterprise and it carries the tail number NCC-1701.