Targeting & Hit Locations

Thia Halmades

Question

Good morning, Steve!

Hope you're feeling better. I'm still popping pain meds, but I'm improving each day, so it's all good at this point. I'm finally doing the "work" of converting/building etc. now that I have a lap top, and I noticed something on the character sheet that caught my attention.

On the lower right hand side there's both the Hit Location Table, and something I missed before I was putting the whole thing into Excel, a "targeting table." It's right below the range modifiers, but looking over it I saw a possible solution to the random location dilemma - the -1 To Hit penalty for a main body shot. This seemed totally reasonable to me, but what I can't figure out is this:

Is that supposed to be only for Range Attacks (which would go against the spirit of the system, but I'd understand if it were) or is that a universal? As in, you walk into a room full of Deep Orks and say "Thia, I'm going to take point and - in a rising sweeping motion - aim for the head of the first ork in front of me!" and take a -4 to hit the "head area?" At -4 you're only at a 1 in 3 chance of making the head shot, instead of the -8 guarantee; that seems balanced to me.

Sorry, rambling. :D Pain meds. Is this the solution I've been looking for that allows me to keep the "hit location chart" without making everyone roll randomly every time?

1 answer to this question

Re: Targeting & Hit Locations

Ehhh, I'm still a bit bogged down. Hope you feel better yourself.

The Hit Location rules -- all of them -- apply to both HTH and Ranged attacks. Many's the time I've made a called shot on a troll's Chest with my broadsword to avoid the annoyance of hitting him in the hand or leg. ;)