I'm trying to complicate things! (Vehicles in HERO)

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve!

As you well know by now, I have a knack for making things more difficult than they are; it goes hand in hand with my ability to simplify other problems. Here's the problem.

I won't get into the philosophical discussion of "how much DEF should a vehicle have," because that's not exactly where I'm going. What I'm trying to figure is this:

We have a big vehicle. The vehicle takes up ... 8x3 hexes on its port wall. It has a total of 45 BODY. Okay. I fire a Rocket at it. It has 25 DEF and I deal 30 points (we'll ignore AP & Piercing for this example). I've now done 5 BODY, and the vehicle drops to 40.

Now. Let's say I have a much wider spread on my weapon; a vehicle class AOE line with AOE Doubled, so it's got a 7 hex footprint and is built to plow through the vehicle. This weapon is going to deal 30 points of damage. Here's my question.

Is that damage applied to each hex the vehicle is in? So if I have a 7 hex footprint attack, and my vehicles hull is 8x3, thusly taking up 24 hexes on a side, is it taking 5 damage because it got hit once, or is it taking 35 damage because it got "hit" 7 times? Grasping this (or being aimed to the right section of the rules) would explain much about how damage is handled on larger objects from larger class weaponry.

Thanks!

~DEM

1 answer to this question