VPP Questions

Alverant

Question

I'm talking with my GM about converting my character's Urban Magic multipower into a VPP and I'm crunching some numbers.

In Arcane Adverseries, Adrian Vandaleur has a VPP with the limitation "No more than 2 slots at a time". I assume that means a slot with more than one power counts as one slot. How much would a "one slot at a time" limitation be worth, effectively making it a multipower with an unlimited number of slots?

Giving a cosmic VPP a 1/2 limitation makes the final cost the same as a multipower with 10 fully powered Ultra slots. If you add on a limitation like "fire magic only", the final cost is the same as a multipower with 7.5 ultra slots. If the "one slot at a time" limitation is -1, the final cost is a multipower with 4 slots.

On one hand I can see some justification, if someone has 10 slots then they probably have enough control to justify converting it into a VPP. But this just seems too cheap. If it's done, not only is the character more versitle, they could have more points to spend. Is this legal?

(All calculations are made without worrying about rounding. I used a 60 point pool as a base and no limitations on the multipower.)

1 answer to this question

Re: VPP Questions

1A. Yes, typically two Linked powers, or a partially-Limited power, or some other “compound” power only counts as a single slot.

1B. That’s up to the GM based on the size of the VPP, the way the character tends to use it, the other Limitations on the Pool, game balance, and various other factors.

2. I’m sorry, but I don’t answer game design/philosophy questions, such as ones comparing the costs of things in search of “justification.” Ultimately it’s up to your GM to decide whether something is “legal” in his game.