Online USPD Updated

Steve Long

Howdy, Herophiles! Just a quick note to let you know that we added 21 new powers to the Online USPD today. They have a "date posted" entry that tells you they're new.

Most of the new powers were contributions from fans; powers with no attribution I created myself. If you turned in a power and it's not included, I decided not to use it for some reason (too similar to an existing power, not appropriate for the USPD, didn't like it, too much work to revise, etc.).

Right now we are, by my estimate, about one-fifth of the way before we could even consider publishing a small (64 page) USPD Update book. So, keep those contributions coming! ;)

Looks great!

The database appears to be growing at a pretty decent rate. And the percentage of the powers I sent in that passed muster was much higher than I expected. :D

I wouldn't want to see a book of less than 200 pages (assuming it's a paper book rather than a Hero Plus release), but at the rate we're all going that shouldn't be much of a problem -- especially if Dave Mattingly adds a few of his ideas. So go ahead and schedule it for a Spring 2005 release. ;)

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Online USPD Updated

Originally posted by Steve Long

If you turned in a power and it's not included, I decided not to use it for some reason (too similar to an existing power, not appropriate for the USPD, didn't like it, too much work to revise, etc.).

Any possibility of finding out which reason applies to your submission?

Sure, if you want to know, you're welcome to send me an e-mail an ask.

In the case of your two specifically, it was because they were really "super-skills," not superpowers such as the UPSD focuses on. They're more the sort of thing one would find in Dark Champions, instead of the USPD.

Similarly, I'd reject a magic spell, a gadget, or a martial arts power as not really fitting within the subject matter... but they'd be appropriate for other books. ;)

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Steve Long

Sure, if you want to know, you're welcome to send me an e-mail an ask.

In the case of your two specifically, it was because they were really "super-skills," not superpowers such as the UPSD focuses on. They're more the sort of thing one would find in Dark Champions, instead of the USPD.

I'd argue that with you, considering the villain I took those powers from, Doctor Simian (who predates Doctor Silverback, as far as I know, by nearly 20 years) is very much a natural part of my Superhero gameworld. Braniac 5, Lex Luthor, and Reed Richards were all influences on this character, and they, too, are part of a superhero universe.

The two powers were written to show some of the side-effects of extremely high intelligence. Granted, superhuman intelligence isn't a very flashy power, but its just as much a power as superhuman strength.

But as always, you are the boss.

Originally posted by Worldmaker

I'd argue that with you, considering the villain I took those powers from, Doctor Simian (who predates Doctor Silverback, as far as I know, by nearly 20 years) is very much a natural part of my Superhero gameworld. Braniac 5, Lex Luthor, and Reed Richards were all influences on this character, and they, too, are part of a superhero universe.

Remember, just because it's part of a superhero universe doesn't make it a superpower in the USPD sense. The characters you name as influences are all legitimate superhero universe examples, but a lot of the stuff they can do with their intellect is really super-skill stuff and thus part of a different aspect of the superhero universe than superpowers per se. :)

I had a couple of abilities I'd thought to send in, but decided not to on this very basis. It's just a matter of what fits where.

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Remember, just because it's part of a superhero universe doesn't make it a superpower in the USPD sense. The characters you name as influences are all legitimate superhero universe examples, but a lot of the stuff they can do with their intellect is really super-skill stuff and thus part of a different aspect of the superhero universe than superpowers per se. :)

I had a couple of abilities I'd thought to send in, but decided not to on this very basis. It's just a matter of what fits where.

It occurs to me then that this policy would negate any and all abilities arising from superhuman intelligence, not to any other power concept that involves being better at something than your ordinary person. Bullseye's "turn anything into a weapon" trick or his "never miss" marksmanship. I can name any number of characters from the comics that depend on just this sort of "power".

I guess it just seems arbitrary to me to say "X is a power and Y is not", when Y quacks, swims, and waddles like a power, if you get my mixed metaphor.

I don't think the book has many "super talents" of any type. So, yeah, there's no

"Even this Drinking Straw is a Weapon in My Hands" multipower (HA, HKA, EB, RKA, all OIF: Objects of opportunity.)

no "How the hell did you get in here" teleport (only when not being watched)

and no "I'm so smart I can guess what you're thinking" that you created, Worldmaker.

Those, IMO, should end up in the Until Talents and Quasipowers Database Book.

D

Originally posted by Worldmaker

It occurs to me then that this policy would negate any and all abilities arising from superhuman intelligence, not to any other power concept that involves being better at something than your ordinary person. Bullseye's "turn anything into a weapon" trick or his "never miss" marksmanship. I can name any number of characters from the comics that depend on just this sort of "power".

These are among the abilities I'd started to write up and then abandoned, for this very reason.

I would love it, though, if a separate book of "super-skill" abilities like these could find its way onto the 2005 schedule. ;)

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by BobGreenwade

These are among the abilities I'd started to write up and then abandoned, for this very reason.

I would love it, though, if a separate book of "super-skill" abilities like these could find its way onto the 2005 schedule. ;)

Same here.

Andy Mathews and I have a proposal in to Steve regarding the Ultimate Gadgeteer, and the myriad uses of superhuman intelligence is in the outline for inclusion. The two I submitted were just a couple of the "smarts powers" I've come up with... but looking them over, they're all "super skills", I suppose.

We're just waiting to get the go-ahead to start writing it.