sovereign stone hero

beastialwarlust

Is anyone here famaliar with the spell casting used in SS d20?

I'd like to try and run a FH game using that type of casting I don't own any FH books yet but I plan on getting the new one as soon as it comes out.

For those not famaliar with it the casting consists of a roll of

1d20 + modifiers, you must equal or exceed the spell's target number you are trying to cast.

For example trying to cast a fire spell ,the casting total for the spell is 35 you have to get a total of 35 or higher for the spell to take effect. If you don't you keep rolling and the totals are cumulative until you hit 35. For every round you keep casting you must make a fortitude save or suffer a temp HP loss.

I was thinking of just using a new skill but I'm not sure how that would work out since I've never designed spells in Hero.

I actually like Sovereign Stone.

I have the SS D20 books and have read them, but never actually played them.

Doing a SS magic system in HERO is difficult, but not impossible. It all comes down to the requires skill roll limitation.

1) Buy the new FH book. I am in the playtest and it is a very good book. Also, in I think September the Fantasy Spell book will be out which will be a great help.

Breaking SS down it comes to the fact that some spells are harder to cast therefore requiring more time and effort on the mage.

That said all spells must have the limitation RSR. Harder spells have RSR multiple times. Use Extra Time to make RSR take a half phase to perform.

As a mage's skill goes up he can loos the RSR on simple spells and on spells with more than one RSR he can bring it down to one RSR.

I am sure if I put more thought into this I could do soomething close, but I have my own magic system to work on.

:)

Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the poster, but he game me a better method than the one I told you.

First, each wizard purchases an END pool. There is no REC on the pool and the END pool is limited the the maximum END used by any spell.

The wizard purchases an Aid for the END pool.

When a wizard wants to cast a spell he Aid"s the END pool until it has enough END to cast the spell.

Another method is using the RSR roll with some kind of cumulative advantge. Not sure how that would work though and you would need to tinker with the rules somewhat.