Extra Time, Only To Activate Redux

tancred

Question

Steve, the old goblin has read 5ER 290, and still just doesn't get it.

As I understand it, any time you activate an Instant Power, you have to use all the Limitations that apply to that Power, e.g., Gestures, Incantations, Extra Time, or whatever.

So for example, if the Power has Requires a Skill Roll, you have to make that Skill Roll every single time you use the Power.

That in turn implies that you have to take the Extra Time every single time you use the Power.

If that's correct, then I just can't see how Only To Activate applies to Extra Time for Instant Powers.

Only to Activate implies that there's some other time that the power uses (such as maintaining a Constant Power). But because it's an Instant Power we're talking about, there is no maintenance time. Or anything else I can see that wouldn't be activation time.

:confused::help:

1 answer to this question

Re: Extra Time, Only To Activate Redux

In general I don't think it ever would apply, but I worded the rule thusly to take into account the fact that I can't necessarily think of every crazy permutation of the system that gamers might concoct. ;) For example, I can see where some GMs might apply that form of the Limitation to Telepathy or Mind Control even though they're technically Instant Powers because they are "maintained" in a fashion similar to Constant Powers (or at least can be).