Energy Body......

VR Dragon

I am trying to make an energy body power for my energy projector. This body is the only form the in which he can use any of his flight or energy blast power pool. My problem stems from constructing the body.

I have consulted afew books (star hero, hero main book, until database) and there are many ways to make a energy body. I don't know if I use desolidify, damage redux, should I make it a EC pool or what??? What advantages do I use or not use? Should I use reduced (1/2) end or costs end only to activate. What powers do I have linked (proper use of link is my weakness I can so where it could fit in so many ways.) Since I am the GM for this game I am abit at a loss.

Here is what I see the energy body as being.

The body doesn't pass through walls or anything but can pass through a small opening or hole.

Its not very effected by physical attacks but physical things can hurt it. it can be grabbed and those who do take damage from the energy of the body.

Its highly resistant to energy but not totally immune.

the energy body can catch a falling person but I worry about them being hurt by the body.

All powers are tied to the body, must transform to use any powers. Also special trix like going throw small holes, etc I can see require using a skill roll untill he gains more exp in manipulating his energy form. Since this guy is a mutant he doesn't have an instant knowledge of what he can do.

I was hoping someone(s) more experienced then I could show me some options?

Re: Energy Body......

I am trying to make an energy body power for my energy projector. This body is the only form the in which he can use any of his flight or energy blast power pool. My problem stems from constructing the body.

There's no right answer to any of these issues. I think this is a good case for several powers linked through an Elemental Control. If the character has all the same abilities, plus more, in Energy Form, consider making these powers Only in Hero ID (and defining some criteria when he can't take on energy form). If his normal form has significant abilities the energy form lacks, a Multiform may be preferable.

I have consulted afew books (star hero' date=' hero main book, until database) and there are many ways to make a energy body. I don't know if I use desolidify, damage redux, should I make it a EC pool or what??? What advantages do I use or not use? Should I use reduced (1/2) end or costs end only to activate. What powers do I have linked (proper use of link is my weakness I can so where it could fit in so many ways.) Since I am the GM for this game I am abit at a loss.[/quote']

Multiform and OIHID don't cost END anyway. The energy body itself is just a special effect.

The body doesn't pass through walls or anything but can pass through a small opening or hole.

Desolid, cannot pass through solid objects, does not protect from damage. This need not be always on, as he'll need it only when passing through small openings.

Its not very effected by physical attacks but physical things can hurt it. it can be grabbed and those who do take damage from the energy of the body.

Physical damage reduction, or very high PD, possibly from a force field, will achieve the resistance to damage. A damage shield covers the damage from contact with the body. The fact he can be Grabbed further limits any desolidification (above).

Energy damage reduction or very high ED, possibly from a force field.

the energy body can catch a falling person but I worry about them being hurt by the body.

Damage Shield can't be shut off. It could be Linked to the other energy body powers, it would make a reasonable condition for OIHID on other powers, or it's Always On in the multiform option.

All powers are tied to the body' date=' must transform to use any powers.[/quote']

Multiform, Linking to damage shield, or OIHID can all simulate this.

Also special trix like going throw small holes' date=' etc I can see require using a skill roll untill he gains more exp in manipulating his energy form. Since this guy is a mutant he doesn't have an instant knowledge of what he can do.[/quote']

Power Skill for new tricks, and possibly RSR on some existing tricks, will simulate this. Most comic boook Supers have little difficulty using established abilities, even when they are fairly new.

FINAL NOTE: However you do this, expect that there will be times your energy body is not available, and try to build in something your character can do without access to that power suite so he won;t be useless (and you bored/resentful at the GM) when these limitations come into play.

Okay, not too hard, I think.... buy all your powers related to the energy body as "Only in Hero ID," or if its a multipower, just disad the whole multipower with it.

Stretching has a subheading for being able to pass through holes, under doors, that sort of thing, if I remember right (no book on hand), and then you can put the disads you stated for it on that. You don't need to buy a lot of stretching for this, so probably not necessary. 1" of stretching would probably be enough.

Use an energy blast, no range, damage shield. Then Damage Reduction physical, maybe 50%, and Damge Reduction Energy at 75% to represent the not taking much damage from those sources. The PD/ED option is also good for that, with less calculating, too. Now that I think about it, its probably a better option. =)

I believe others have covered other options better than I, so I leave it at that.

I have consulted afew books (star hero, hero main book, until database) and there are many ways to make a energy body. I don't know if I use desolidify, damage redux, should I make it a EC pool or what??? What advantages do I use or not use? Should I use reduced (1/2) end or costs end only to activate. What powers do I have linked (proper use of link is my weakness I can so where it could fit in so many ways.) Since I am the GM for this game I am abit at a loss.

Are you using Multiform? If not, that's where I would start. The "base" form has the average defenses & all the powers that don't just work while in Energy Form, then the Energy form would have all the flight powers, etc. Let's continue.

The body doesn't pass through walls or anything but can pass through a small opening or hole. [/Quote]

Multiple schools of thought on this one. Personally, I would represent this as Desolidification w/ the Does Not Protect From Damage and Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2 ea. iirc) limitations. Another GM I know allowed a metamorph character w/ Shape Shift: Touch Group to achieve the same effect. SS would be cheaper, but in the end, it's up to you.

Its not very effected by physical attacks but physical things can hurt it. it can be grabbed and those who do take damage from the energy of the body. [/Quote]

I'd go w/ DR - 25% Physical. It doesn't block all the damage like high PD would, so physical things can still hurt you. Damage to the grabber/ HTH attacker is a simple (but potentially expensive... though at least since it's on the Multiform character, you at least only have to pay 1 character point for ever 5 pts used) EB Damage Shield. Add Offensive if you want the Energy Form character to do some Energy damage w/ his punches, too.

Its highly resistant to energy but not totally immune.[/Quote]

Again, I'd go Damage Redux here - 50%-75% depending on exactly HOW resistant you want them to be. Still allows damage to get through, but it will be significantly lessened.

Yeah... that'd be the kicker. W/ the damage shield there's really no way around that, unless you created some heavily modified version of Telekinesis... but then you have to consider SFX and character concept and whether or not that fits, which based on what you've spelled out here, I'm not all that sure it would. You could also consider adding "Always On" for that Damage Shield, since it WOULD be a problem if he touched any friendlies while in Energy Form.

All powers are tied to the body, must transform to use any powers. Also special trix like going throw small holes, etc I can see require using a skill roll untill he gains more exp in manipulating his energy form. Since this guy is a mutant he doesn't have an instant knowledge of what he can do.

Makes sense.

Anyway, that gives you a starting point at least. The Multiform cost for a single 200 base-point form would be 40 pts, leaving you 310 points on which to construct the "normal form" (assuming we're talking a standard 350 Champions game.) If all the disads from the normal form are in effect in the energy form, then you get those points to build your EF on, too (sweet! :thumbup: ) Since this mutant is new to his powers, it might make more sense to have EVERYTHING (or most things) cost normal END to begin with, to represent that he hasn't mastered control of his powers and they wear him out quickly. W/ XP he could add CEOTA on the desolidification or other Body Affecting powers (or more if the GM allows) or Reduced END as he gets into "better shape" with his mutant abilities. As to Linking, I'm not sure that any of it would necessarily need to be linked in the Multiform version I've spelled out. If you went w/ the OIHID approach instead of Multiform, then you could link the powers to the Damage Shield power. Hope that helps!

The Boards are acting wonky for me today. Four times now this post was wiped while editing. Now I see a few poeple have beat me to the punch anyway.

To be able to pass through small openings and holes, I would go with Desolidification with the Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects and Does Not Protect Against Damage limitations. A small amount of Teleportation would also work, but I think Desolidification is more appropriate.

To harm people that touch you, without harming people you want to touch, take a Damage Shield and just turn it off when you need to, like when the Human Touch puts out the fire on his arms to catch someone.

To be resistant to physical damage and more resistant to energy damage, I would take Damage Reduction and Armor, with higher levels in ED than PD.

To simulate powers that only work while you are in energy form, take the limitation Only In Heroic Identity for those powers. A Multiform would also work, but I think the limitation would be more appropriate.

For any powers that don't work consistently, you can take the Activation Roll or Requires A Skill Roll limitation.

I hope that helps, enjoy.

could I use 25% DR physical, 75% DR Energy both resistant linked to a desolidify doesn't protect from damage or pass through solids?

I think that might make a energy body like I am looking for.

Desolid for the body and costs 4 end to maintain.

The Physical/Energy Dr linked because they are only active while desolid is maintained?

If thats okay and legal would "Costs end only to activate me okay to add to desolid?

could I use 25% DR physical, 75% DR Energy both resistant linked to a desolidify doesn't protect from damage or pass through solids?

I think that might make a energy body like I am looking for.

Desolid for the body and costs 4 end to maintain.

The Physical/Energy Dr linked because they are only active while desolid is maintained?

If thats okay and legal would "Costs end only to activate me okay to add to desolid?

You can do that, but you will still need the Affects Phycial World advantage to interact with anything solid (such as with your STR, EB, or Damage Shield). Neither Doesn't Protect Against Damage or Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects allow you to interact with the physical world offensively. I think it would be easier (and alot cheaper given the cost of Affects Physical World) to leave them seperate.