Attack of Opportunity

diocletianx

Originally posted by CorpCommander

That could be the original intent. However, since Hero is a very highly controled gaming system with great interdependency and interlocking systems and D&D is basically a food processor of ideas, unconnected but on the same plate - the original intent is often ignored. For example, my D20 Samurai gets an obscene amount of FREE opportunity attacks when people do specific things 1" away. i think it is something like 5 attacks but it could be 9 (GM has my sheet - he keeps them so that when players don't show up someone else can run the character.) Anyway the point is, the entire combat system in 3E is totally broken as far as I am concerned.

On page 235 of Fred there is a good mechanism for an Opportunity attack of sorts. Even in historical wargames, opportunity attacks require the unit to be in a defensive ready mode and position. The rule on holding action in Fred does something similar. I think it's pretty close to what you need, no? Or do you want free attacks? If so, well then, burn heretic!!! your Stoning will be at dawn!

;)

Let he who casts the first stone... :D