Silence & Flash Voice - Stopping Casters/Incanters

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve;

So I started a thread first, in the Hero Discussion forum, to see if I could get this figured out before bringing it you, the Balance of Law. The concept is easy on the surface, but we can't seem to get a model that feels nearly clean or efficient enough to warrant a "Hero" mechanic.

Simply put: I want to keep a caster from incanting. I also wanted to then do something else while they were otherwise occupied. A Flash to Voice, effectively. However, "voice" is not a "sense group" in mechanics terms, so I was told that I can't Flash someone's ability to talk. I have UMA, but that gets into Nerve Strikes & Disables - but again, 'disabling' the head means you can't make attacks with it - common sense says you also couldn't incant, much less focus, but that wasn't covered in the same way in the text that I could find. We also considered Darkness, and since Darkness is already an AOE, making it Accurate as a -0 limitation made sense! Except now it's really easy to silence someone. :think:

Now I'm stuck. What would you say is/are the most efficent option/s? Is it a Handwaved Flash (Hearing, Only to affect Speech, -1), is it in fact a variation on Darkness (which seems odd, since the concept here is a throat-strike)? Is it in fact Nerve Strike from UMA (Head)?

:help:

1 answer to this question

Re: Silence & Flash Voice - Stopping Casters/Incanters

Well, ultimately it's up to you as GM, but every Silence spell I've ever built has used Darkness to Hearing Group and nothing but. If you're worried about the accuracy thing, just Limit it so that it Only Affects One Target (probably a -1/4 or -1/2 -- check published examples) and Requires A Standard Attack Roll (i.e., against the target's DCV, not DCV 3; probably -1/2).