Multiple Side Effects

Armitage

Question

I thought I remembered seeing this in a rulebook somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

If several Powers are provided by a Focus and the nature of the Focus causes a Side Effect, is the Limitation applied to all of the Powers or just one (maybe the largest)?

e.g. an OIF spacesuit provides Armor and Life Support, but the suit's gloves impose a -3 penalty on all manual DEX-related rolls.

1 answer to this question

Re: Multiple Side Effects

Typically as long as using any power can trigger the Side Effect, every power that could possibly do so gets the Limitation. However, the GM’s well within his rights to forbid this if the character isn’t any more hindered or restricted by having the single Focus (or whatever) provide multiple abilities. For example, suppose a set of gloves provides Armor and Life Support and are so bulky they impose a -3 on all DEX-Based Rolls. Because both of those powers are Persistent, having both active at once doesn’t restrict the character any more than just having one of them active would. Therefore the GM might rule that only one of the powers (chosen by the player) could take Side Effects.