Super hero comic

Erik Roman

I know this is a bit off topic but I put it in here because I'm aiming this at superhero writers (GM's specifically) and I thought that most of the people I want to connect with are in this forum.

I am a game illustrator who has done art for many Hero books (as well as a host of others!) and I'm looking for a writer to collaborate with for a comic strip search that Dark Horse comics is hosting.

http://www.darkhorse.com/company/newrecruits.php

I would like to submit a good, old-fashoned, tights wearing superhero concept or small team. It just needs to have something unique to catch the eye of the publisher.

If you think you're up to the challange I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.

Erik Roman

http://www.portfolios.com/erikroman

Guest Cougar

Re: Super hero comic

Hey Erik,

I would like to submit a good' date=' old-fashoned, tights wearing superhero concept or small team. It just needs to have something unique to catch the eye of the publisher.[/quote']

You do realize that Dark Horse doesn't really publish superhero books, right? As such, pitching them such a project is going to be a major uphill battle.

Paul

http://archenemiesonline.com/

This is from Dark Horse and I might be mistaken but with the costumes and all I thought this was a super hero book. Kind of an odd couple feel to it but with a Superhero and a supervillian.

I do not think that Dark Horse doesn't publish superhero boooks they just have not run into anything that they have liked recently. They tried a superhero world before but everything tanked but The Ghost, which lasted several years.

Besides the worse that could happen would be that they say no thank you. Which happens with most pitches or new projects anyways from most comic companies. If you come up with a great idea that grabs them by the seat of their pants with solid art, solid story and has a great potential to make more people buy Dark Horse comics, I would have a hard time seeing them take the pass.

Guest Cougar

http://archenemiesonline.com/

This is from Dark Horse and I might be mistaken but with the costumes and all I thought this was a super hero book. Kind of an odd couple feel to it but with a Superhero and a supervillian.

Hence the equivocation in my earlier post.

One could argue that The Escapist and The Escapists are superhero books too. Also, Hellboy straddles the line between horror and superheroes. And, yes, I'm very much aware of their Comics Greatest World line that came out several years back.

However, the bulk of their books are not superhero books and, as I said, that makes pitching them a superhero book an uphill battle. Particularly one described as ..."a good, old-fashoned, tights wearing superhero concept or small team." Even one with "...something unique to catch the eye of the publisher."

Breaking into the comics biz is no easy feat. Adding hurdles, like pitching something that doesn't line up with the bulk of a publisher's output, is generally counterproductive.

Yes, if something blows a publisher away, they're likely to pick it up. Blowing a publisher away is rare.

Note that I didn't suggest that Erik not pitch to them. Simply that pitching superheroes to Dark Horse is a tough sell. Perhaps he was already aware of that. Perhaps not.

Oh, and the worst that could happen is not simply that they so "no thank you." The worst that could happen is that it gives the publisher an impression that you aren't familiar with the sorts of books they put out and they'll be less inclined to look at the next pitch that you send them.

In any event, I offered a bit of friendly advice. You seem to think I was out of line doing so. If Erik thinks so too, he can certainly ignore what I have to say.

Paul

Actually, I did not think that you were out of line. I thought you were trying to offer solid advice.

No, I was simply indicating that although Dark Horse is not known for their Super heroes they have a history of giving them a shot. So yes, if you are going to pitch one to them then it needs to be really darn good.

What you say is true, however in this situation, what they are asking for is basically a cattle call and they are going to see quite a few submissions and unless you stand out as either one of the best or as one of the very worst, they are not really going to give you much thought either way. They just do not have that type of time.

I have no friction with you and I hope you did not think that I was trying to start some. That was not the purpose for my post.

Well, not that I wanted to gravytrain off of someone else's thread, but I figured since it was already on the table I would just continue with it.

There are a lot of talented people that contribute to these discussion boards, who have great artistic talent. I myself, although I have been trying to learn to draw, can't even draw a good circle. So if there is one artist on this site looking to collaborate with someone that wants to write stories, there must be others. I am curious to see what artists here would be interested in collaborating.

Before reading this thread about the Dark Horse contest I had considered starting an online comic, after a friend of mine had talked me into it. So I would definitely be interested in several artists that would be interested, because at the rate I'm going on learning how to draw there might not be any more comic books!!

That's cool.

I found a writer to work with and I wasn't gonna post it on here because this thread was buried pretty deep. I didn't think it would be on anybody's radar anymore.

But now that it's here on top again, I thought I'd better mention it.

Freeway66 -- If you can land someone to work with through this thread, more power to you! I have no qualms with it!

You shoukd actully check out the forums at http://www.digitalwebbing.com and place an ad looking for a collaborator there. Very busy site FULL of VERY creative people.

~e.

No problem. I just thought of posting this in the hopes of getting more people interested, and tried myself not to say too much about anything regarding what you had decided. Good luck to you as well, and thanks for the tip on the location to post.