Clever Uses of Change Environment

Agent X

It occured to me that I should probably provide an example of what I have done:

This is from a character with limited "wind" powers who can fly quickly, shunt attacks with the cyclonic winds that surround him, and can "punch" people with wind.

Hurricane Mantle

Change Environment [0]

1†Radius, -1 hearing per, -1 vision per, -1 muscle-powered ranged attacks,

- ½ no range, + ½ zero endurance, + ¼ personal immunity

It's not going to overwhelm the bad guys but it is just a neat way to elaborate on his special effects.

Originally posted by Agent X

Hurricane Mantle

Change Environment [0]

1†Radius, -1 hearing per, -1 vision per, -1 muscle-powered ranged attacks,

- ½ no range, + ½ zero endurance, + ¼ personal immunity

I just wanted to point out that CE can only have 1 combat effect built within the power (meaning you can only buy -1 to a PER Roll (hearing or sight) or the -1 muscle-powered). USPD adds a new adder to the power called Multiple Combat Effects. That 5 point adder allows you to have more than one Combat Effect with the power.

Other that that though, it looks pretty good.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

I love the new rules for Change Environment!

I was just wondering what kinds of cool things all you guys have been doing with the new dynamics of this power. So, what have you come up with?:)

One of the mentalists in my campaign has the following:

Change Environment: -2 to All Ego Based Rolls in a 4" Radius - Personal Immunity, 0 Endurance Cost, No Range, No Conscious Control, Explosion, Only When Experiencing Strong Emotion

Defined as "agitated telepathic spillage".

Originally posted by Monolith

I just wanted to point out that CE can only have 1 combat effect built within the power (meaning you can only buy -1 to a PER Roll (hearing or sight) or the -1 muscle-powered). USPD adds a new adder to the power called Multiple Combat Effects. That 5 point adder allows you to have more than one Combat Effect with the power.

Other that that though, it looks pretty good.

Yeah, because you can see how abusive I was getting with this power construct. Sometimes, the Hero Lexicon looks a little silly to me.

Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

Originally posted by Worldmaker

One of the mentalists in my campaign has the following:

Change Environment: -2 to All Ego Based Rolls in a 4" Radius - Personal Immunity, 0 Endurance Cost, No Range, No Conscious Control, Explosion, Only When Experiencing Strong Emotion

Defined as "agitated telepathic spillage".

This is cool. I'm always looking for distinctive power concepts for mentalists. Too often, you end up with an array of telepathy, mind control, mental illusions, and ego attack.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

This is cool. I'm always looking for distinctive power concepts for mentalists. Too often, you end up with an array of telepathy, mind control, mental illusions, and ego attack.

Same here. Mentalists, more than any other character type in Champions, has become a thoroughly generic breed, I've found.

The character in question is the daughter of my campaign world's most powerful telepath, and has most of her powers bought with an uncontrolled "overdrive" setting (Side Effects) that cause the permanent damaging effects to her and tend to make drooling footstools out of the people she's using the powers on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

Same here. Mentalists, more than any other character type in Champions, has become a thoroughly generic breed, I've found.

The character in question is the daughter of my campaign world's most powerful telepath, and has most of her powers bought with an uncontrolled "overdrive" setting (Side Effects) that cause the permanent damaging effects to her and tend to make drooling footstools out of the people she's using the powers on.

I haven't really said this to you, but I find your PBEM intriguing. I lurked a bit but all I was reading was happy birthdays and the like.

You really have a well-thought out campaign and I like the way you have fit things together to allow for most character concepts without sacrificing a sense of "reality" to your universe.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

I haven't really said this to you, but I find your PBEM intriguing. I lurked a bit but all I was reading was happy birthdays and the like.

You really have a well-thought out campaign and I like the way you have fit things together to allow for most character concepts without sacrificing a sense of "reality" to your universe.

LOL! You were on the Chat list, right? That's mostly used for non-content blabbing and the occasional admin message.

Thanks for the compliment. I really do appreciate it. There are very few solid "No, you can't do this" sort of rules involved (magic being the most visible and forthright example), and most people have never had a problem fitting a character in.

There have been a few, though. Had one woman who wanted to essentially play a mass murderer who got away with it, and another who honest to god wanted to play a man who altered the universe around him every time he went to sleep, but no one noticed but him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

LOL! You were on the Chat list, right? That's mostly used for non-content blabbing and the occasional admin message.

Thanks for the compliment. I really do appreciate it. There are very few solid "No, you can't do this" sort of rules involved (magic being the most visible and forthright example), and most people have never had a problem fitting a character in.

There have been a few, though. Had one woman who wanted to essentially play a mass murderer who got away with it, and another who honest to god wanted to play a man who altered the universe around him every time he went to sleep, but no one noticed but him.

Yep, I was on the chat list.

I started up a game at a store a few years ago with a group of strangers who were telling me about this one "wierd guy" who played with them because they were afraid to tell him to go away. Up walks this guy with long black hair, an unkempt beard, bad teeth, heavy metal tatooes, and clothes that reeked of smoke. He asks if he can play in the game. I tell him I have all the players I need. He then proceeds to tell me about the character he wants to play that has a sword that was forged in hell and stored hundreds of souls or somesuch. I, politely as possible, interrupted him and explained that I didn't have room for him in the game. He gave me a funny look and walked away muttering incoherently. Anyway, that guy was about as wierd a player as I have met and that is saying something.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

I started up a game at a store a few years ago with a group of strangers who were telling me about this one "wierd guy" who played with them because they were afraid to tell him to go away. Up walks this guy with long black hair, an unkempt beard, bad teeth, heavy metal tatooes, and clothes that reeked of smoke. He asks if he can play in the game. I tell him I have all the players I need. He then proceeds to tell me about the character he wants to play that has a sword that was forged in hell and stored hundreds of souls or somesuch. I, politely as possible, interrupted him and explained that I didn't have room for him in the game. He gave me a funny look and walked away muttering incoherently. Anyway, that guy was about as wierd a player as I have met and that is saying something.

LOL! I've yet to meet anyone that bad, thank God.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

LOL! I've yet to meet anyone that bad, thank God.

You're mass-murderer wannabe really creeps me out, though. The reality warper just seems to lack an appreciation of what is possible in a game with multiple players.

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

You're mass-murderer wannabe really creeps me out, though. The reality warper just seems to lack an appreciation of what is possible in a game with multiple players.

She had quite the explanation... you see, her victims were going to be the terrorist cell that murdered her husband, plus their families, plus every other member of the terrorist organization, plus their families... and since they were terrorists no one made a big deal out of it when she applied to be a Global Guardian.

I informed her that the Guardians would turn her over to the authorities for prosecution post haste, using as many Guardians as it took to do so, terrorists or no terrorists.

In response she called me a male chauvenist who's never had a creative thought in his life and who probably beats up his wife.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

She had quite the explanation... you see, her victims were going to be the terrorist cell that murdered her husband, plus their families, plus every other member of the terrorist organization, plus their families... and since they were terrorists no one made a big deal out of it when she applied to be a Global Guardian.

I informed her that the Guardians would turn her over to the authorities for prosecution post haste, using as many Guardians as it took to do so, terrorists or no terrorists.

In response she called me a male chauvenist who's never had a creative thought in his life and who probably beats up his wife.

As Cher in Clueless (or Buffy in the movie) might say, "Issues, anyone?"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clever Uses of Change Environment

That reminds me of some of my old metal head gamers. Those were good times. Memories...

Hey I wonder if i've been ditched for the way I am...

Nahh not me everyone loves me! don't they?

*rocks back and forwards in fetal position*

Come on Narcism!

I've been thinking about this power recently. Been thinking about a character who can manipulate gravity. This would bring up two distinct CE effects: 1) create an area of high gravity, 2) create an area of zero gravity.

I'm not sure quite how I'd achieve the proper effect without just leaning HARD on SFX. Anyone got an idea?

Doc

Originally posted by DocMan

I've been thinking about this power recently. Been thinking about a character who can manipulate gravity. This would bring up two distinct CE effects: 1) create an area of high gravity, 2) create an area of zero gravity.

I'm not sure quite how I'd achieve the proper effect without just leaning HARD on SFX. Anyone got an idea?

Doc

High Gravity would be telekinesis with advantages and limitations. It's been done in CKC. Zero Gravity is harder for me to grasp. It isn't merely tk to raise something up. It is just neutralizing the effects of gravity and making someone very dependent on their momentum and relatively fixed objects they can spring off of. How to do that in Hero? Hmmm..... Anybody have an idea?

High Gravity would be telekinesis with advantages and limitations. It's been done in CKC. Zero Gravity is harder for me to grasp. It isn't merely tk to raise something up. It is just neutralizing the effects of gravity and making someone very dependent on their momentum and relatively fixed objects they can spring off of. How to do that in Hero? Hmmm..... Anybody have an idea?

1flight used on others (everything that isn't bolted down.) AOE radius non selective target, no range.

Originally posted by Rage

1flight used on others (everything that isn't bolted down.) AOE radius non selective target, no range.

The problem is that you are defining their movement at 1"

Why if you slap someone with zero gravity would they not simply go straight in the same direction they were moving to begin with - until they bounced off something or grabbed onto something.

The problem is that you are defining their movement at 1"

Why if you slap someone with zero gravity would they not simply go straight in the same direction they were moving to begin with - until they bounced off something or grabbed onto something.

true, this was just somthing I was doing in my head. how about +3 flight with relative velocity (+1/4)*under the idea that you go faster with less weight?

opposite of the no relative velocity adder for T ports.

Originally posted by Rage

true, this was just somthing I was doing in my head. how about +3 flight with relative velocity (+1/4)*under the idea that you go faster with less weight?

opposite of the no relative velocity adder for T ports.

I don't know. I would have to read up on it. I think maybe this is a good question for Steve Long so I will post it over there.