Powering/Depowering Devices

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve;

We're stuck on two primary ideas, and I mean... stuck. Like, glued in place. The first seems simple enough - a character who can empower/'depower' (sorry) electrical devices. Reading USPD I, we find our builds were identical to yours - AID/DRAIN END. Question One:

If we employ 'real world' theory, and the device is still receiving power (i.e., a light switch) do we assume that the Drain keeps the device "off" only for so long as the dice dictate? If an 18 on 6d6 is rolled, is that drained with a normal fade rate so it'll "turn on" after 4 (phases/segments/whatever)? Same for AID? It'll run until the AID Fades?

Second question, and this one has completely stumped us. I hate asking you for a straight build, but six of us can't figure this out. The character is an electrokinetic who can "see electricity and flow." We bought that as a Targeting Sense, no problem. Now, the idea is that he can Hack a system by "manipulating the energy flow" - i.e., he doesn't need a direct interface, he could code a computer just by looking at it and making the appropriate skill roll.

The part we can't figure out is how to simulate the power itself - how do we actually design a power that'll let him 'log on' to any system, regardless of interface device?

:help:

Thanks as always,

TH/DEM

1 answer to this question

Re: Powering/Depowering Devices

1. Standard Adjustment Power rules apply. Figure out what you think the "point value" of a light (or whatever) is, then Adjust it, then start the fade rate.

2. Well, I'd probably just buy Telekinesis with some sort of Limitation that it only lets him type in programs using Computer Programming, or something like that. I'd suggest posting this question on the Discussion board so you can get other opinions. Or you could consider the optional Activate Power in my column in Digital Hero #14.