Modelling two power effects

Evil Steve

I have two questions...

1-a player wishes to be able to destroy foci-mechanically, what's the best way to do this?

2-If a player wishes to be able to freeze water, either in an area or a specific body of water, Transform is the way to go, but should it be Area Affect for bodies of water such as a river? Should it be upgraded to Conforming? What about Selective Target for freezing a river, but not the kiddie pool nearby?

As always, my thanks

Re: Modelling two power effects

1 - Even easier answer: He doesn't need a special power, he can just target other character's foci with whatever he usually uses to attack (presuming it does body), and use the rules on breaking foci to determine what happens. My players have gotten quite good at this, often to my chagrin.

2 - I second the above answer.

1. The destroyability of a Focus is deteremined by the type of Focus. If a Focus is defined as "Unbreakable" then it must have a defined means of destroying it but otherwise it is indestructable by any other means. The One Ring is the classic example of this sort of Focus.

If the Focus is not Unbreakable, then any attack that does body that exceeds the Focus's DEF removes a power. When all Powers have been removed in this fashion the Focus is destroyed. This is all explained in detail under the Focus Limitation.

Another way to go about wrecking a Focus is via the Dispel Power. As noted under Dispel, objects generally must be repaired, recharged, or rebuilt after being Dispelled (though an Unbreakable Focus is considered to be Difficult to Dispel).

2. AoE Transform is one way to freeze water; a Change Environment that lowers Temperature Levels with the ancillary effect of freezing water is probably a more logical and consistent way to do it since water naturally becomes frozen at a certain temperature.

1) Not quite sufficient information; is it a "decay field", a martial arts chop to the foci, or what?

Generally, direct damage to the foci (EB/HA/HKA/RKA/whatever) will work, or as mentioned above, a Dispel.

2) Depends on if the point is to freeze the lake, or if it is to freeze the lake to generate other effects. An Entangle with various limitations might apply, but other than that Change Environment seems appropriate. Change Environment's Area of Effect is built in to the power (if memory serves, I may be confusing this with 4th ed rules), so AE is not a necessary advantage.

Clarifications

1-The focus-busting is modeled on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, wherin Li Mu Bai chops the Jade Fox's sword into scrap, and/or replicating the effects of the glorious fight between Michelle Yaoh and Zhang Ziyi.

2-its an instafreeze with all the good effects that come with frozen water (walking on it, cooling ones beverage, etc)