Looking for Advice on a "Buffer/ Healer" Superhero

Doc Samson

Hi all. I am thinking about trying my hand (again) at a purely defensive/ healing and buffing type character. The character is a total pacifist and will not have any offensive capability (including powers that target enemies such as Entangle) whatsoever. I have tried this in the past and was pleasantly surprised that it was so fun. The problem actually turned out to be that the character quickly broke the game. His buffs caused the other character's to exceed the attack and defense caps (not to mention that Aid was half the cost in 4E).

As a house rule, the GM has ruled that no power I use can help the other characters exceed the campaign AP attack and defense caps. For example, I could not use a STR Aid on the Brick's STR (as he is already at our max) or a ED Force Wall to stack with our Energy Projector's ED (he also is at max ED). I am looking for suggestions in other directions to go in.

Here is what I have so far:

Powers

- Healing, Simplified Healing, Tracks Individual Wounds, (This is a very powerful option as it allows me to use repeated heals on the same character), Ranged

- END Aid, Ranged (Though this doesn't allow the PCs to break the caps, the GM has agreed to allow them to Push their powers at will (10 AP max) with the excess END as the special effect is that of a Super-Stimulant.)

- Missile Deflection, Any Ranged Attack, Useable at Range (+1) (The special effect is a ranged "Repulsion Field".)

- Mental, Power, and Flash Defense Force Wall (None of the PCs are even close to capped in these Defenses. The Special Effect is a "Suppression Field". As is an Exotic Defense only Field, I don't need to buy it Transparent against Normal attacks)

The character's personal Defenses are all bought through an OAF Shield. I though it was only fair to give the villains a fighting chance to take me down, as they probably won't be able to take down anyone else until I am out.

Skills/ Talents/ Perks

Doctor Package Deal, including Paramedic, SS (Medicine), Perk (Licensed MD)

Disadvantages

"Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

"Hippocratic Oath (Actively Protects Others)" (Very Common, Total)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. All input is welcome.

Re: Looking for Advice on a "Buffer/ Healer" Superhero

The characters personal Defenses are all bought through an OAF Shield. I though it was only fair to give the villains a fighting chance to take me down, as they probably won't be able to take down anyone else until I am out.

Which means that (if I were GM):

A) the villians will develope ways to counteract your powers (a super villian with massive debuffing powers, for instance), and

B) as soon as the villians figure out what is going on you are the primary target ... if you have to spend all of your actions keeping the OAF away from the villian, you won't have time to fully buff the team (which will make you prioritize who and how you buff).

That being said. This sounds like it would be quite a bit of fun to play ... nothing like healing and buffs to allow a GM to throw all sorts of nasty stuff at a party.

Hi all. I am thinking about trying my hand (again) at a purely defensive/ healing and buffing type character. The character is a total pacifist and will not have any offensive capability (including powers that target enemies such as Entangle) whatsoever. I have tried this in the past and was pleasantly surprised that it was so fun. The problem actually turned out to be that the character quickly broke the game. His buffs caused the other character's to exceed the attack and defense caps (not to mention that Aid was half the cost in 4E).

As a house rule, the GM has ruled that no power I use can help the other characters exceed the campaign AP attack and defense caps. For example, I could not use a STR Aid on the Brick's STR (as he is already at our max) or a ED Force Wall to stack with our Energy Projector's ED (he also is at max ED). I am looking for suggestions in other directions to go in.

Here is what I have so far:

Powers

- Healing, Simplified Healing, Tracks Individual Wounds, (This is a very powerful option as it allows me to use repeated heals on the same character), Ranged

- END Aid, Ranged (Though this doesn't allow the PCs to break the caps, the GM has agreed to allow them to Push their powers at will (10 AP max) with the excess END as the special effect is that of a Super-Stimulant.)

- Missile Deflection, Any Ranged Attack, Useable at Range (+1) (The special effect is a ranged "Repulsion Field".)

- Mental, Power, and Flash Defense Force Wall (None of the PCs are even close to capped in these Defenses. The Special Effect is a "Suppression Field". As is an Exotic Defense only Field, I don't need to buy it Transparent against Normal attacks)

The character's personal Defenses are all bought through an OAF Shield. I though it was only fair to give the villains a fighting chance to take me down, as they probably won't be able to take down anyone else until I am out.

Skills/ Talents/ Perks

Doctor Package Deal, including Paramedic, SS (Medicine), Perk (Licensed MD)

Disadvantages

"Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

"Hippocratic Oath (Actively Protects Others)" (Very Common, Total)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. All input is welcome.

I created a somewhat similar sort of character just recently. The concept was a very lucky character, who could use that luck on others for good or ill. He had two multipowers, one of "Good Luck" powers and one of "Bad Luck" powers. For the good luck, he had Healing and Aid END, as you had. I also gave him Flash Defense UBO, Invis UBO, and 2 CSL's with DCV UBO.

Like you, I didn't want this character to be attacking, so for his bad luck pool, he has some attack powers but nothing that can really damage someone. I gave him a trip power (Change Enviro), Flash, Negative Combat Skill Levels, a Drain on END and another on INT, and a Teleport UAA with random destination.

The idea was the character could help others and could even distract opponents, but he couldn't really hurt anyone. Oh, on both MP's, he uses a die roll to determine which slot to use, so he can't even specify what power he wants. :) Haven't had a chance to play him yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope that helps some.

Okay, from what I am reading here, I am a little confused.

Does your character have a technological force field emitter, plus he has the powers to heal/buff others on his own (as his own, personal superpower)?

If such is the case, I have some suggestions for you.

Think about the "theme" of your powers. All superheroes should have a theme that link their powers together (if a power does not fit within the theme, the character should not posses the power).

Your character's theme is the manipulation of life energy. From what I read of your Healing power, you can track the wounds and how significant they are. This should mean that your character should have a Detect Life Forms power to sense other living things around you. Despite that fact that your character is a pacifist, you may want to consider your character having some attack powers (such as a STR and/or END Drain). Just because you are never going to use it, does not mean you should not have it.

How about a Transfer that takes enemy STR or END and buffs your Healing power? This is non-lethal, and will cause no serious harm to your enemies (thus not really violating your pacifism).

As for your GM not wanting to break the campaign power levels, I can understand. You may want to slightly alter your Aid with some Limitations. For example, your Aid power can only make someone as strong as X, or as fast as X, as resistant as X, etc. Thus, you are not violating your campaign limits, and the GM is not weeping over his defeated villains. Also, the Gm is not making you play your character the way -he- wants it; it will be how -you- want it.

How about a Transfer that takes enemy STR or END and buffs your Healing power? This is non-lethal, and will cause no serious harm to your enemies (thus not really violating your pacifism).

This would depend on your character's particular flavor of pacifism. Draining enough STR to make a villian collapse under his own weight could violate some people's sense of "Do no harm".

As for your GM not wanting to break the campaign power levels, I can understand. You may want to slightly alter your Aid with some Limitations. For example, your Aid power can only make someone as strong as X, or as fast as X, as resistant as X, etc. Thus, you are not violating your campaign limits, and the GM is not weeping over his defeated villains. Also, the Gm is not making you play your character the way -he- wants it; it will be how -you- want it.

This is a very good point. Working with your GM on a powerset like this will make everyone's life much easier.

Okay, from what I am reading here, I am a little confused.

Does your character have a technological force field emitter, plus he has the powers to heal/buff others on his own (as his own, personal superpower)?

If such is the case, I have some suggestions for you.

Think about the "theme" of your powers. All superheroes should have a theme that link their powers together (if a power does not fit within the theme, the character should not posses the power).

Your character's theme is the manipulation of life energy. From what I read of your Healing power, you can track the wounds and how significant they are. This should mean that your character should have a Detect Life Forms power to sense other living things around you. Despite that fact that your character is a pacifist, you may want to consider your character having some attack powers (such as a STR and/or END Drain). Just because you are never going to use it, does not mean you should not have it.

The character's "theme" is that of a Super Combat Medic. He's technology based so pitcure an EMT from the far future. His powers are technological in origin but can effect the body (like a Doctor can today). The END Aid is a stimulant type injection, like a super adrenaline shot. The Healing is a swarm of nano-surgeons (tiny robots that can repair tissues very fast). The Force Field type powers are also technological in origin, allowing him to defend his comrades in battle (like a medieval hospitaler who can wear armor and shield but is prohibited from shedding blood). I hope that clears my goals up a bit. As far as all powers having to be of the same theme, what do you think of Batman? His Gadgets and Martial Arts are quite different and not all are "bat-like" (bat knockout gas?)

As far as other types of Aids, we have a well balanced group at the moment and I didn't want to do anything that would ruin another character's schtick, such as give everyone else the same (max) speed our speedster has. I am hoping to find some useful ideas that boost each character, but without making them all too similar. Thanks for the ideas, your questions have helped flesh the character's role out a bit more.

The other ideas are also very good (and in fact I did have some attack powers, like a super anesthetic NND, on the last incarnation) but I want to try to stay away from powers that target villains for conceptual reasons. I am hoping to continue in the direction of powers that target my companions.

Which means that (if I were GM):

A) the villians will develope ways to counteract your powers (a super villian with massive debuffing powers, for instance), and

B) as soon as the villians figure out what is going on you are the primary target ... if you have to spend all of your actions keeping the OAF away from the villian, you won't have time to fully buff the team (which will make you prioritize who and how you buff).

That being said. This sounds like it would be quite a bit of fun to play ... nothing like healing and buffs to allow a GM to throw all sorts of nasty stuff at a party.

You hit the nail on the head here. This has proven to be very true in the past, but in game it actually isn't so bad. If I am getting ganged up on, that leaves my companions free to act or even defend me in return!

Don't overlook Change Environment. Some real useful stuff in there, stuff that will make your opponents less effective, without harming them at all, or targeting them in any way.

Darkness is another great way to control the battlefield, as much so as Force Wall.

Tons of sensory powers. Cheap in a multipower, totally invaluable.

Aid to CON, BODY, SPD, and/or REC. No AP caps on those, but boy oh boy do they come in handy. Yes, they're half-value because they're all "defensive". Doesn't matter, they're still worth it.

Resurrection UOO. There's a couple of interesting ways to blend that together with a Code-vs.-Killing.

I created a somewhat similar sort of character just recently. The concept was a very lucky character, who could use that luck on others for good or ill. He had two multipowers, one of "Good Luck" powers and one of "Bad Luck" powers. For the good luck, he had Healing and Aid END, as you had. I also gave him Flash Defense UBO, Invis UBO, and 2 CSL's with DCV UBO.

Like you, I didn't want this character to be attacking, so for his bad luck pool, he has some attack powers but nothing that can really damage someone. I gave him a trip power (Change Enviro), Flash, Negative Combat Skill Levels, a Drain on END and another on INT, and a Teleport UAA with random destination.

The idea was the character could help others and could even distract opponents, but he couldn't really hurt anyone. Oh, on both MP's, he uses a die roll to determine which slot to use, so he can't even specify what power he wants. :) Haven't had a chance to play him yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope that helps some.

Some good ideas here. Invisibility, UBO and a team Teleport could be very useful.

Don't overlook Change Environment. Some real useful stuff in there, stuff that will make your opponents less effective, without harming them at all, or targeting them in any way.

Darkness is another great way to control the battlefield, as much so as Force Wall.

Tons of sensory powers. Cheap in a multipower, totally invaluable.

Aid to CON, BODY, SPD, and/or REC. No AP caps on those, but boy oh boy do they come in handy. Yes, they're half-value because they're all "defensive". Doesn't matter, they're still worth it.

Resurrection UOO. There's a couple of interesting ways to blend that together with a Code-vs.-Killing.

Hmm...Darkness and Change Environment are intriguing ideas. For some reason this has made me think of some kind of Transform to cure poisons or diseases.

As far as all powers having to be of the same theme, what do you think of Batman? His Gadgets and Martial Arts are quite different and not all are "bat-like" (bat knockout gas?)

He's a gadgetteer; that is his theme. The bat is just his suit and some of his gear. I was speaking about actual powers.

He's a gadgetteer; that is his theme. The bat is just his suit and some of his gear. I was speaking about actual powers.

I think most would classify him primarily as a martial artist, but my point was that some really good characters have powers that may not entirely be within their theme. Another example would be Mr. Fantastic. He a super-inventor with stretching powers. His original "theme" was water related, but I think he's more well known for his intelligence and inventions now.

Anyway, if I had to pick a common special effect for all my powers, I think I would go with swarms of nanobots. The biggest change I think would be how the Force Wall and Missle Deflection look.