Point Buy vs. Cash (Heroic Campaign)

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve;

One of my PCs for my sci-fi campaign dropped a mess of points to have an Armored Mobile Lab/Personnel Carrier, since there certainly wouldn't have been enough money to purchase it. He's bought the vehicle, groovy. If I blow it up, he either reclaims the points or gets "a new vehicle." No sweat. But the campaign is set at the heroic level.

During the course of the opening adventure, the party has come across a set of XM-8 rifles. The PC then promptly said, "Aha! I will take a pair of these and mount them on my AML!" Which is fine. What I don't know is if there's a specific ruling on whether a vehicle bought with points can have any modifications to it made without the points spent.

Simply: Does he need to spend points (to keep it consistent), or can he "spend money" to add the guns, or is this a set in GMO land?

1 answer to this question

Re: Point Buy vs. Cash (Heroic Campaign)

That's up to the GM to decide. I think, generally speaking, that most GMs rule that something bought with character points is pretty durable and/or easily replaced, whereas something obtained for free is much more likely to get destroyed or taken away, and may not be easy to replace.