Another Zepplin book recommendation

Basil

I just got this book out of the library, and found it fascinating and very informative.

The Golden Afe of the Great Passenger Airships; Graf Zappelin & Hindenburg by Harold G. Dick with Douglas H. Robinson. Note: you might find it filed under Graf Zeppelin & Hindenburg

The primary author, Harold G. Dick, worked for Goodyear-Zeppelin, and was assigned to the Zeppelin company in Germany from 1934 through 1938 (though not continuously during those years). He had access to the entire "works" and was accepted by the officers and crews of the airships. He took many photos, diagrams, notes, etc., which are the basis for this book. The secondary author, Douglas H. Robinson, is a world authority on rigid airships.

The information in this book is throughly detailed, yet the writing never bogs down, except in the (IMO) utterly unnecessary chapter on Dick's mountain climbing.

There is enough anecdote to give the reader a real sense of what zeppelin travel felt like, combined with enough hard data to let the reader understand what it took to make those flights work.

The appendix of the Crew Manual is, by itself, priceless. This book is a marvel! Read it as soon as you can.

Unfortunately, being published in 1985 (by the Smithsonian Institution) I suspect it is out of print. Personally, I'll be satisfied to keep checking in out of my local library, but for those who might think of hunting it down and buying it, here's the data on it:

Title: The Golden Afe of the Great Passenger Airships; Graf Zappelin & Hindenburg

Authors: Harold G. Dick with Douglas H. Robinson.

Publisher: The Smithsonian Institution

Edited by: Ruth W. Spiegel

Designed by: Alan Carter

Copyright date: 1985

ISBN: 0-87474-364-8