The Italian Connection

Xtian

Re: The Italian Connection

And the Borgias! And maybe Dante really did go to Hell.

This setting has real potential.

Does the Vatican have a superhero team? Swiss Guard Man!

Yes!

I thinked about it for a long time.

If we talk about evil we must believe in good and vice-versa.

I think that Vatican's wall hide a few powerfull meta-human gruop and a strike elite force. The first ones are attached to all Great-Dimensional-Demonic enemies, like parademons or other dimension breaks.

The other are "holy" spys which have the the job to investigate on misteries of religious type...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how about the 2nd world war?

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll comment more next week when I get more time, but I just wanted to say that our last Dawnstars game involved a bit of time travel back to the Second World War and kind of touched on the Seven Martyrs who were executed by the Nazis. An NPC (who becomes something of a villain) was married to one of the men who were executed, and worked to help the heroes in the Past.

I do have lots of questions which I'll hope to get up on this board in the next week. Love the names of organisations you've already mentioned. I've needed a secret police for a while, but have only used the two 'cousins' of law enforcement (and there has been rivalry between them, and bureacratic bumbling!).

I'm here for you.;)

By this time I'm reading a full detailed hstorical book about 2nd wold war so if you need some informations... I'm prepared.

I'm also organizing a real Hero resource home page for Italian fan with international information, but all is freeze now (we are waiting the Steve Long's Blessing).

When the site is ready I tell you the URL.

Opus Dei? ;)

Mmm... Really I don't know a lot about Opus Dei (only the few thing from the DaVinci Code :) ) but I remember that it's an American organization.

Of course the previous Pope was a Opus member so... all and nothing.

About Dante... Why not? In some Italian based settings Dante is still alive but in another dimension. It can be interesting a closed encounter with the "Sommo Poeta".

Other thing: anyone of you had seen Mission Impossible: 3?

For some reason I thought Opus Dei was founded by a Spaniard who was close to Franco. But I may be wrong.

I have never seen MI3, or MI2 for that matter.

Maybe Dante returned from Paradiso with - SUPER-POWERS! That would be cool. And with his sidekick Beatrice. :D

In MI3 movie a little bit of the action is placed in the Vaticano state.

As many other american movie italian don't make a very good impression.

if you will see it you must know that:

1. Italians don't move faster or shaking the hands while speaking;

2. Don't have strange names which sounds similar to pasta;

3. Italians drive good (or as good as any other civilizated culture);

I think that Dante is something like a visionary with mental powers and huge PRE skills. Beatrice is a spirit-like being wich appear randomly with informations or trick to resolve...

After all... she is dead. :angel:

Dante could a sort of Dimensional Guardian, watching for angels or demons trenspassing (like Constantine movie...)

In MI3 movie a little bit of the action is placed in the Vaticano state.

As many other american movie italian don't make a very good impression.

if you will see it you must know that:

1. Italians don't move faster or shaking the hands while speaking;

2. Don't have strange names which sounds similar to pasta;

3. Italians drive good (or as good as any other civilizated culture);

I think that Dante is something like a visionary with mental powers and huge PRE skills. Beatrice is a spirit-like being wich appear randomly with informations or trick to resolve...

After all... she is dead. :angel:

Dante could a sort of Dimensional Guardian, watching for angels or demons trenspassing (like Constantine movie...)

Don't even get me started on Hollywood's crap depictions of other countries. Believe it or not, not everybody in Russia is in the Mafia. Just imagine, Russia is mostly populated by farmers, students, housewives, mathematics professors, and other such non-Mafia people! What a shock! Oh never mind.

Well, Dante is also dead by this point in history. :) I like the idea of making him an interdimensional guardian -- he did pass through the worlds, after all. But it was Virgil who brought him through...

Don't even get me started on Hollywood's crap depictions of other countries. Believe it or not' date=' not everybody in Russia is in the Mafia. Just imagine, Russia is mostly populated by farmers, students, housewives, mathematics professors, and other such non-Mafia people! What a shock! Oh never mind.[/quote']

The same for Italy.

Well... less mathematics professors.

And what about rpg gamers?

Well' date=' Dante is also dead by this point in history. :) I like the idea of making him an interdimensional guardian -- he did pass through the worlds, after all. But it was Virgil who brought him through...[/quote']

Well... Virgilio guided him the first time. The he come back with super powers (and immortal life support) and simulate his death (did you know that Dante tomb is in my city, Ravenna?).

Now he have Beatrice who bring him some Paradise informations on Inferno minions movement. A demon wich make the same on Angel's movements and Virgilio who assist him in his investigation...

What do you think?

The same for Italy.

Well... less mathematics professors.

And what about rpg gamers?

Well... Virgilio guided him the first time. The he come back with super powers (and immortal life support) and simulate his death (did you know that Dante tomb is in my city, Ravenna?).

Now he have Beatrice who bring him some Paradise informations on Inferno minions movement. A demon wich make the same on Angel's movements and Virgilio who assist him in his investigation...

What do you think?

Not a lot of RPG gamers. When RPGs got started this was still the USSR and they would have been seen as a "decadent capitalist" invention, so there's not much of a gaming culture. (There was a Soviet version of Monopoly though, so they could appropriate anything I guess.) But considering how many people here are addicted to World of Warcraft I could see it taking off.

I was wondering where in Italy you were -- I used to date a woman from Milano. I had no idea where Dante was buried -- why not in his native Florence?

I like the Beatrice idea. How is religion going to work in your game -- is the Inferno the real Hell?

Not a lot of RPG gamers. When RPGs got started this was still the USSR and they would have been seen as a "decadent capitalist" invention' date=' so there's not much of a gaming culture. (There was a Soviet version of Monopoly though, so they could appropriate anything I guess.) But considering how many people here are addicted to World of Warcraft I could see it taking off.[/quote']

So you really use the phrase "decadent capitalist"? I always thinked it was an Occidental invention. :hush:

I was wondering where in Italy you were -- I used to date a woman from Milano. I had no idea where Dante was buried -- why not in his native Florence?

Yes but he leaved Florence (Firenze) for political problems. He travel as an exile trough Italy (during these voyage he thinked about a travel from Inferno to Paradiso) and find a home in Ravenna where he stayed until his death. Many years later Florence citizens (fiorentini) wanted his body but he rest here again

I like the Beatrice idea. How is religion going to work in your game -- is the Inferno the real Hell?

I use a more complex Inferno. I think that is a multidimensional place (formed of 999 inferni. The first and last ones are disabitated or earth-near. The ones which is sometimes visible from our dmension and/or from where some ghsts or demons may escape. The inner ones are the planes of all culture's hell (like nowegian hell, greek hell, etc.) They are a kind of regions. I usually a have a player of deminic origin (it is a human-demon mix resulted from an experiment of Demon organization high positioned in Inferis gerarchies) and he visited some of them. There is a lot of "space" for ideas. One of them, for example, is a complex alien forest where demons hunts humans for sport...

So you really use the phrase "decadent capitalist"? I always thinked it was an Occidental invention. :hush:

Yes but he leaved Florence (Firenze) for political problems. He travel as an exile trough Italy (during these voyage he thinked about a travel from Inferno to Paradiso) and find a home in Ravenna where he stayed until his death. Many years later Florence citizens (fiorentini) wanted his body but he rest here again

I use a more complex Inferno. I think that is a multidimensional place (formed of 999 inferni. The first and last ones are disabitated or earth-near. The ones which is sometimes visible from our dmension and/or from where some ghsts or demons may escape. The inner ones are the planes of all culture's hell (like nowegian hell, greek hell, etc.) They are a kind of regions. I usually a have a player of deminic origin (it is a human-demon mix resulted from an experiment of Demon organization high positioned in Inferis gerarchies) and he visited some of them. There is a lot of "space" for ideas. One of them, for example, is a complex alien forest where demons hunts humans for sport...

I remember about Dante now -- he put a lot of his Florentine enemies into Hell, in fact. I think Dante may have been a bit spiteful. :)

Yes, until Gorby time most anything that came from the West was supposed to be a "product of the decadent capitalist West." Western cities were supposed to be dystopias of massive poverty ruled over by a handful of evil fat capitalists (kind of like how Russian cities are portrayed in the West today! :rolleyes:). Which doesn't mean nothing got through -- Tootsie was a big hit in the USSR, as was ABBA. ABBA supposedly had a deal with the Soviet government whereby they would get their records distributed in exchange for cheap concerts, or something like that. :doi: Depeche Mode was also huge. The Beatles were on the state record label.

I like the plural infernos idea. If you took Dante too literally the Roman gods and any other non-Christian supernatural whatevers would have to be demons in disguise, which isn't very comic book.

I remember about Dante now -- he put a lot of his Florentine enemies into Hell' date=' in fact. I think Dante may have been a bit spiteful. :) [/quote']

Correct! :idjit:

Yes' date=' until Gorby time most anything that came from the West was supposed to be a "product of the decadent capitalist West." Western cities were supposed to be dystopias of massive poverty ruled over by a handful of evil fat capitalists (kind of like how Russian cities are portrayed in the West today! :rolleyes:). Which doesn't mean nothing got through -- Tootsie was a big hit in the USSR, as was ABBA. ABBA supposedly had a deal with the Soviet government whereby they would get their records distributed in exchange for cheap concerts, or something like that. :doi: Depeche Mode was also huge. The Beatles were on the state record label.[/quote']

That's incredible. So... You are not a Evil Russian Spy in disguise, isn't it?:eek:

I like the plural infernos idea. If you took Dante too literally the Roman gods and any other non-Christian supernatural whatevers would have to be demons in disguise' date=' which isn't very comic book.[/quote']

Yes. I also use the Neil Gaiman's American Gods teory. Do you know?

All deities are a humun mind rappresentation. More minds believe in one thing most powerfull are the avatars. :hail: This can explain why the same evil beings had different aspects of culture seed.

Now I'm going to eat but I will think about a advanced Dante character sheet to submit at this forum...

Actually I'm not even Russian, just have lived here for a long time.

I look forward to seeing Super Dante. This could be cool. (Wasn't he guided to Hell in the first place by a panther and two other animals? "Midway through my life's journey..." Maybe they could be followers. :)

Actually I'm not even Russian, just have lived here for a long time.

I look forward to seeing Super Dante. This could be cool. (Wasn't he guided to Hell in the first place by a panther and two other animals? "Midway through my life's journey..." Maybe they could be followers. :)

You are not Russian? I'm sorry. I misunderstood. Where are you born?

This is a simple Dante Alighieri Sheet. What do you think about it?

Ok. This is a more "readable" ;) form:

Dante Alighieri

Player:

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 24

10 CON 0

12 BODY 4

25 INT 15

20 EGO 20

15 PRE 5

9 COM 0

6 PD 4

6 ED 4

6 SPD 32

12 REC 16

50 END 15

40 STUN 18

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 157

Cost Power END

96 Variable Power Pool, 80 base + 16 control cost, (120 Active Points); OAF (Dimensional technology; -1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2)

7 Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Longevity: Immortal; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0

15 Luck 3d6 0

10 Mental Defense (14 points total) 0

5 Power Defense (5 points) 0

70 Multipower, 70-point reserve

7u 1) Mental Illusions 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points) 7

7u 2) Mind Control 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points) 7

7u 3) Ego Attack 5d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points) 7

7u 4) Telepathy 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points) 7

2u 5) Dimensional travel: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x8 Increased Weight (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6

5u 6) Home: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), x16 Increased Weight, Safe Blind Travel (+1/4) (50 Active Points) 512 Sight, Smell/Taste, Touch and Hearing Groups Images 1" radius, +/-2 to PER Rolls (31 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Only to change self appearence (-1/2) 3

Powers Cost: 250

Cost Skill

3 Animal Handler 12-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bribery 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Computer Programming 14-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 12-

5 Cramming

3 Deduction 14-

7 High Society 14-

3 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 14-

3 KS: Flora And Fauna 14-

3 KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore 14-

3 KS: Heraldry 14-

3 KS: Legends And Lore 14-

2 KS: The Shadow world 11-

4 KS: Literature 15-

3 KS: Politics world 14-

0 Language: Italian (Native; literate)

4 Language: Latin (completely fluent; literate)

4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)

3 Navigation 14-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Writer 14-

3 PS: Dimension Watcher 14-

3 Riding 13-

3 Seduction 12-

40 +4 Overall

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Survival 14-

3 Systems Operation 14-

3 Trading 12-

5 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Small Rowed Boats Skills Cost: 146

Cost Perk

6 Access (Hidden (-1 to Skill Rolls))

15 Advanced Tech

20 Anonymity

10 Computer Link

10 Contact: Beatrice (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

9 Contact: Grotza'ld (lesser demon lord) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 15-

10 Contact: Virgilio (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

2 Deep Cover Alessandro DeValenti (Noble European man)

2 Deep Cover Rajiv Singh (Noble Asian man)

5 Fringe Benefit: Diplomatic Immunity

11 Money: Filthy Rich

4 Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +4/+4d6 Perks Cost: 104

Cost Talent

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

15 Beast Speech

3 Bump Of Direction

5 Eidetic Memory

20 Universal Translator 14-

Talents Cost: 46

Total Character Cost: 703

Val Disadvantages

10 Accidental Change from image form to normal form: Surprise danger 11- (Uncommon)

35 Dependent NPC: Employers 11- (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x16 DNPCs)

5 Distinctive Features: Dimensional aura (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Enraged: Embarrassed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-

20 Hunted: Rebel dimensional factions 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Arrogating (Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: In love with Beatrice (Uncommon, Total)

10 Reputation: , 14- (Known Only To A Small Group)

Disadvantage Points: 170

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 333

Total Experience Available: 333

Experience Unspent: 0

If you want biographical data, I was born in Germany, grew up in the US and moved to Russia six years ago.

I think he looks cool. I don't picture him as having a 6 SPD (Kung Fu Dante!; but then he is a 700+ point character!) and his defenses seem really low not counting the VPP. What is Dimensional Technology? Is the stuff all focussed-based?

You gonna write up Beatrice?

If you want biographical data' date=' I was born in Germany, grew up in the US and moved to Russia six years ago.[/quote']

:eek:

wow...

I think he looks cool. I don't picture him as having a 6 SPD (Kung Fu Dante!; but then he is a 700+ point character!) and his defenses seem really low not counting the VPP. What is Dimensional Technology? Is the stuff all focussed-based?

Yes. I know. I had doubts about it but it is a (high power) champions sheet so... the SPD is necessary. I thinked about it as a biological power aquired from dimensional work, as universal translator and mental powers. He was "manipulated" from some interdimensional force and had gain some inner powers. Dimensional technology is a magic-based form of focus. In some dimension is magic, in some other tech. It reflects the gadget pool he have to fight dimensional enemies.

You gonna write up Beatrice?

Soon...

Hey, shouldn't he have some Knowledge Skills like "14th-century Florence" and "Catholic Theology"? And AK: Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.

Distinctive Features: Always Speaks in Rymed Triplets. :)

Good idea for the KSs.

Even if after 700 years of this work he probly have something more generic like AK: Dimensions 15-

Other adders can be:

languages (Celestial, Infernalis)

Other ideas?

Even for the "gadgets"?

The final version:

Dante Alighieri

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6 HTH damage

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

10 CON 0 11-

12 BODY 4 11-

25 INT 15 14- PER Roll 14-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

9 COM 0 11-

6 PD 4 Total: 6 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 4 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

6 SPD 32 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

12 REC 16

50 END 15

40 STUN 18 Total Characteristics Cost: 157

Movement: Run: 6"/NC"

Swim: 2"/NC"

Cost Powers END

96 Variable Power Pool, 80 base + 16 control cost, (120 Active Points); OAF (Dimensional technology; -1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2)

7 Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Longevity: Immortal; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0

15 Luck 3d6 0

10 Mental Defense (14 points total) 0

5 Power Defense (5 points) 0

56 Multipower, 70-point reserve, (70 Active Points); all slots Incantations (-1/4)

6u 1) Mental Illusions 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 7

6u 2) Mind Control 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 7

6u 3) Ego Attack 5d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 7

6u 4) Telepathy 10d6 (Additional Class of Minds: animals and Additional Class of Minds: aliens classes of minds) (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 7

2u 5) Dimensional travel: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x8 Increased Weight (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6

4u 6) Home: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), x16 Increased Weight, Safe Blind Travel (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 5

11 Shapeshift: Sight, Smell/Taste, Touch and Hearing Groups Images 1" radius, +/-2 to PER Rolls (31 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Only to change self appearence (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) 3

Perks

6 Access (Hidden (-1 to Skill Rolls))

15 Advanced Tech

20 Anonymity

10 Computer Link

10 Contact: Beatrice (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

9 Contact: Grotza'ld (lesser demon lord) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 15-

10 Contact: Virgilio (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

2 Deep Cover: Alessandro DeValenti

2 Deep Cover: Rajiv Singh

5 Fringe Benefit: Diplomatic Immunity

11 Money: Filthy Rich

4 Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +4/+4d6

Talents

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

15 Beast Speech

3 Bump Of Direction

5 Eidetic Memory

20 Universal Translator 14-

Skills

3 Animal Handler 12-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bribery 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Computer Programming 14-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 12-

5 Cramming

3 Deduction 14-

7 High Society 14-

3 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 14-

3 KS: 14th-century 14-

3 KS: Catholic Theology 14-

3 KS: Flora And Fauna 14-

3 KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore 14-

3 KS: Heraldry 14-

3 KS: Legends And Lore 14-

3 AK: The Shadow world 14-

3 AK: Dimensions 14-

4 KS: Literature 15-

3 KS: Politics world 14-

4 Language: Celestial (completely fluent; literate)

4 Language: Infernalis (completely fluent; literate)

4 Language: Latin (completely fluent; literate)

4 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)

4 Language: Hindustani (completely fluent; literate)

3 Language: French (fluent conversation; literate)

3 Navigation 14-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 PS: Writer 14-

3 PS: Dimension Watcher 14-

3 Riding 13-

3 Seduction 12-

40 +4 Overall

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Survival 14-

3 Systems Operation 14-

3 Trading 12-

5 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Small Rowed Boats

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 552

Total Cost: 708

200+ Disadvantages

10 Accidental Change from image form to normal form: Surprise danger 11- (Uncommon)

35 Dependent NPC: Employers 11- (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x16 DNPCs)

5 Distinctive Features: Dimensional aura (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Enraged: Embarrassed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-

20 Hunted: Rebel dimensional factions 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: 11- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Arrogating (Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: In love with Beatrice (Uncommon, Total)

10 Reputation: , 14- (Known Only To A Small Group)

Total Disadvantage Points: 708

Well...

I think that Dante is not a combat character. He probably prefer conversation and mental powers to escape from dangerous situations.

If the story fall to a conflict then he can use gadgets (a personal Force Field or a desolidification that shake his body into different dimension randomly, for example).

About Paradise:

If hell is a 999 layer dimension pack, its opposite is less schematic.

A more order-based dimension with well defined hierarchies and a more "military" aspect.

It could seems strange but as bible say there are "hierarchies of angels".