NPC's - one free in every box

War Cry

Re: NPC's - one free in every box

For those of you who have been reading this thread - my apologies for not keeping up with it lately. Been busing working on a game world. Hopefully, this next scum bag can make up for it.:eg:

Teramis the Reaver, dark elf templar

Another hunted, another assassin. Teramis the Reaver was a dark elf assassin, a high-ranking templar of the church who did not trust others with the more important tasks that needed to be done. He lived by the motto “If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself”. This was one NPC I feared I might have built a little too efficiently, as he was able to take on any and all comers and walk away without a scratch – most of the time. Tall, regal, and arrogant, Teramis oozed danger wherever he went. Clad in a suit of fine armor of unknown material (worked to look like tiny interwoven skulls with itty bitty rubies for eyes) and armed with a pair of blood-iron swords, Teramis served his patrons with a zeal that bordered on fanatical. He was centuries old, a hero of his people who still stalked the land, eliminating potential threats and the cause of death for countless heroes from ages past. And he and his order had outlived their usefulness. His entire religious order was executed and Teramis alone escaped the purge. Driven to “redeem” himself, the PCs became his target. Actually, one in particular – Night. Most assassins wait and strike when the conditions favored and facilitated a quick and clean kill, but not Teramis. He was good, and he knew it, and he wanted everyone else to know it too.

His most arrogant and bold attack happened on a religious holiday. The temple was packed with hundreds, maybe thousands, of worshippers and of course, the PCs (one was a priestess and the others were attending the service out of respect). In the middle of the ceremony, one of the white robed members of the congregation stood up and casually strode forward. I got a few puzzled expressions until the “worshipper” reached the foot of the stairs, pulled a pair of swords out from under his robe, and slashed the throats of the two temple guards blocking his way. Jaws dropped all around as the robe was discarded and a dark elf reaver in full religious gear was revealed. The crowd panicked and mass chaos ensued. A quick and furious battle took place in the holiest of shrines, one dark elf against eight – and the eight got stomped, the holiday ruined, and the temple desecrated as several holy artifacts were either destroyed or stolen. This one fight established his reputation among the players and it was rather comical (for me) to see them sweat whenever they even suspected he was anywhere around or heard of Teramis killing some other great warrior or hero. It got to the point where one player requested a solo adventure to deal with Teramis on his own. It’s my own fault, really. I think having the severed head of his wife-to-be delivered to his room – along with a scroll with a very detailed account of how slow and terrible her death was - may have pushed him over the edge. It took a few solos, but Night relentless followed Teramis north and caught up with the reaver at a temple of Kharlithi, a dark elf god of intrigue and deceit. Outclassed and outmatched, Night still made one epic struggle of it. It was truly awesome watching the player’s hands literally shake every time he reached for his dice. It was a great fight full of great role-playing as tapestries, benches, candelabras, and many other items were used as weapons and distractions. Both were hurt pretty badly when I pulled a nifty surprise move for the dark elf I had forgotten he had. He faked a blow at Night’s throat, forcing him to duck. The dark elf leapt into the air, over the feline, and landed behind him, swinging his blade to deliver the killing blow. The only reaction I got was an evil smile. The player also had a move he had bee saving, and this gave him an opportunity to use it. After a dex vs. dex roll off, Teramis ended up with a pair of short swords embedded in his sides. “Well done, my friend,” choked Teramis through the blood and pain. “I have but one request of my killer. Deliver my head to my wife.”

Edit: I'm curious if anyone is getting any use out of these, or am I just talking to myself - again?